Please note: Paula Robison's Residency (April 12, 2013) is being held this year in lieu of Flute Fling!. Please join us again in spring 2014 for Flute Fling 2014!
A fun and informative day of flute activities presented and sponsored by the students of the JMU Flute Club and geared towards flutists of all ages, teachers, band directors, and flute aficionados! All are welcome!
Also featuring a variety of workshops, a flute choir reading session and performance for all participants, masterclasses, and performances by
JMU’s flute professor Beth Chandler, the JMU Flute Choir, and student soloists.
EVENTS OF THE DAY INCLUDE:
- Flute Choir Reading Sessions and Performance
- Advanced Masterclass with Dr. Beth Chandler and selected soloists
- Beginner and Intermediate Open Masterclass
- Performances by Dr. Beth Chandler, the JMU Flute Choir, and student soloists
- Of course, lunch will be provided.
- And much more!
*Please note: Events are subject to change.
Advanced Students (Grades 9 and up):
Beginner and Intermediate (Grades 8 and under):
An Open Masterclass will be offered. No application is necessary. Please bring your flute and music—anyone or group with a prepared piece is welcome to participate!
Back by popular demand, we are offering free individual private lessons throughout the day. Each lesson will be 20 minutes long and taught by a JMU f lute major.
What to bring, etc.:
All flutists are encouraged to bring f lutes and piccolos to participate in workshops, the open masterclass (for Grades 8 and under), and the flute choir reading sessions. Alto and bass flutes are especially welcome. Dress is casual.
DIRECTIONS to JAMES MADISON UNIVERSITY:
From the NORTH:
Take I-81 South to Exit 245, Port Republic Rd. At the top of the ramp, make a right at the light to head west on Port Republic Rd.
From the SOUTH:
Take I-81 North to Exit 245, Port Republic Rd. At the top of the ramp, make a left at the light to head west on Port Republic Rd.
Approaching campus on Port Republic Road:
- Pass the main entrance to James Madison University on your right and continue over a small hill.
- Turn right at the next light (S. Main St./Route 11 North). Continue on S. Main St. for approximately one-half mile.
- Turn left at the next traffic light (Warsaw Ave.). If you reach Grace St. you have missed the turn.
- Drive straight through the next stoplight and around the back of the Warsaw Ave. parking deck. Then, park on any floor.
- Exit the parking deck towards the Forbes Center, and walk through the viaduct, crossing under Main St. Continue up the sidewalk and turn left to reach the Music Building, which is the first building on the left side of the Quad. Proceed through the front doors of the Music Building to join us!
For more information: please email firstname.lastname@example.org