PLEASE CLICK HERE for schedule of events.
FEATURING Beth Chandler,
James Madison University
with Paulo Steinberg, piano
EVENTS OF THE DAY INCLUDE:
- In Recital: Beth Chandler, flute, and Paulo Steinberg, piano
- Flute Choir Reading Sessions and Performance
- Workshops and Presentations
- Advanced Masterclass with Dr. Beth Chandler and selected soloists
- Beginner and Intermediate Open Masterclass with Brianne Little — bring something to play!
- Performances by the JMU Flute Choir, and student soloists
- Visit our exhibitor The Flutist’s Faire! This is a great opportunity to shop for a new flute, piccolo, headjoint, accessories, and sheet music. Shop their website in advance, www.flutistsfaire.com
- Light breakfast and lunch will be provided.
- And much more!
*Please note: Events are subject to change.
MASTERCLASS GUIDELINES and INFORMATION:
Advanced Students (Grades 9 and up):
If you are interested in performing in our masterclass with Dr. Beth Chandler, please include a recording of the piece you wish to perform. The recording may be on CD, or sent electronically, and may not be edited. Please include the recording and the $10 fee with your application, sent by the postmark date. An accompanist is encouraged for the recording, but not required.
Beginner and Intermediate (Grades 8 and under):
An Open Masterclass will be offered by JMU doctoral teaching assistant Brianne Little. No application is necessary. Please bring your flute and music—anyone or group with a prepared piece is welcome to participate!
Back by popular demand, we are offering free individual private lessons throughout the day. Each lesson will be 20 minutes long and taught by a JMU f lute major. If interested, please check “yes” on the registration form.
- Pre-Registration forms must be postmarked by March 10, 2014.
- Please mail all group pre-registrations in one envelope.
- Each flutist must submit an individual form.
- This form may be photocopied.
- Registration and check-in will be on Saturday, March 29th, 2014, beginning at 8:30 a.m, any time before 9:00 am. The day is full of workshops, masterclasses, exhibits, and recitals.
PLEASE CLICK HERE for registration form.
What to bring, etc.:
All flutists are encouraged to bring flutes and piccolos to participate in workshops, the open masterclass (for Grades 8 and under), and the flute choir reading sessions. Alto and bass flutes are especially welcome. Dress is casual.
DIRECTIONS to JAMES MADISON UNIVERSITY:
From the NORTH:
Take I-81 South to Exit 245, Port Republic Rd. At the top of the ramp, make a right at the light to head west on Port Republic Rd.
From the SOUTH:
Take I-81 North to Exit 245, Port Republic Rd. At the top of the ramp, make a left at the light to head west on Port Republic Rd.
Approaching campus on Port Republic Road:
- Pass the main entrance to James Madison University on your right and continue over a small hill.
- Turn right at the next light (S. Main St./Route 11 North). Continue on S. Main St. for approximately one-half mile.
- Turn left at the next traffic light (Warsaw Ave.). If you reach Grace St. you have missed the turn.
- Drive straight through the next stoplight and around the back of the Warsaw Ave. parking deck. Then, park on any floor.
- Exit the parking deck towards the Forbes Center, and walk through the viaduct, crossing under Main St. Continue up the sidewalk and turn left to reach the Music Building, which is the first building on the left side of the Quad. Proceed through the front doors of the Music Building to join us!
For more information, please contact: