Percussion & Color Guard Auditions
Saturday, June 27, 2015
Percussionists (battery only) and color guard interested in joining the Marching Royal Dukes must attend the audition day, SATURDAY, June 27, 2015. This is required for those interested in being a part of the Drum Line, or Color Guard.
- Those interested in participating in front ensemble download the files under the "Required Additional Materials" section to be considered. NEW THIS YEAR- Front ensemble participants do not need to attend audition day. Only a video submission is required.
- Those interested in participating in Drumline (battery) must also download the respective audition piece and submit a video before audition day. Those in this category must attend audition day.
Information with details about this event are posted below and mailed to all indicating their interest in joining one of those auxiliary units. For additional information, please contact Carly Philp (color guard) at firstname.lastname@example.org or Steve Cash (drumline and front ensemble) at email@example.com .
Itinerary & Event Information
Saturday, June 27, 2015
AUDITIONS WILL BE HELD AT THE FORBES CENTER FOR THE PERFORMING ARTS.
- 8:30am Registration opens - Forbes Center Room 1115
- 9:30am Opening remarks - JMU Band Staff
- 10:00am-12:00pm MORNING AUDITION SESSIONS
- 12:00-1:00pm Lunch for participants @ D-Hall- Provided by JMU Bands
- 1:00-4:00pm AFTERNOON AUDITION SESSIONS (Percussion runs until 5:00 pm)
- 4:00-5:00pm Dinner for participants @ Music Building - Provided by JMU Bands
- 5:00-7:00pm EVENING AUDITION SESSIONS (Colorguard only)
Required Audition Materials
Location and Parking
Auditions will take place on campus at the Forbes Center for the Performing Arts and the Music Building. The Forbes Center is located off of South Main Stree/Rte.11 at the west end of the JMU Quad. Parking for auditions will be in the Warsaw Parking Deck, conveniently located adjacent to the Forbes Center.
Registration will be held in Room 1115 on the first floor (signs will be posted). For a campus map, visit www.jmu.edu/map.
Our physical address for your G.P.S. is: 147 Warsaw Avenue, Harrisonburg, VA 22807
- Enter Harrisonburg from I-81 via Exit 245 (Port Republic)
- Travel WEST on Port Republic Road (you will pass a campus entrance on the right)
- Turn RIGHT onto Rte.11-N/South Main Street (after your turn, stay in the left lane)
- At the next stoplight (Warsaw Ave.), turn LEFT to access the Warsaw Parking Deck; there will be a Buffalo Wild Wings on your left and the campus entrance on your right. The parking garage is adjacent to the Forbes Center for the Performing Arts.
- Exit the parking deck and follow the signs to the right to the Forbes Center entrance. Enter through the first set of doors on the LEFT side of the building.
What to Bring
PERCUSSION: All percussionists should wear appropriate clothing for practicing outside, and should bring your own sticks and mallets. Instruments will be provided.
GUARD: All guard participants should wear appropriate clothes for learning routines (work-out/dance clothes and running shoes - no jeans). Flags will be provided (all participants will audition using the same equipment). If individuals would like to be considered for the weapon line, they must provide their own rifle and/or sabre.
Please note that all audition sessions will be held outside (unless there is inclement weather), so please dress appropriately. In case of rain, we will have secondary locations reserved if necessary.
If you have specific questions about the audition processes, please feel free to contact our instructors:
Steve Cash - firstname.lastname@example.org - Drumline and Front Ensemble
Carly Philp - email@example.com - Guard
Any questions about the event times, locations, etc. can be addressed by contacting the JMU Band Office at (540) 568-6656, or visiting the MRD website: www.jmu.edu/mrd