About the Dukettes
The James Madison University Dukettes are the official dance team of James Madison University. These ladies are some of the most talented at JMU. Here you can find information about performances, appearances, the time commitment, try out dates and requirements, and season length. The Dukettes are a fast-paced organization, who are model representatives of the values of JMU, and are novel ambassadors to the school as a whole.
The season for a Dukette begins with summer practices in July and August, where they go through a rigorous preparation for the season and camp. The team attends National Dance Alliance's (NDA) Collegiate Dance Team camp in August, where they learn routines and participate in team bonding exercises. The Dukettes also partake in The Marching Royal Dukes' Band Camp, which takes place the week before the start of classes.
During the regular season, the Dukettes practice Monday through Thursday for 2 hours each day, and on the Fridays of home games with the band during football season. The ladies perform during halftime with Virginia's Finest at every home football game. They also perform at every home basketball game, make other appearances, and travel with the Marching Royal Dukes throughout the fall season. These performances include community, national, international, and university events.
The essence of the Dukette season is nationals, where they travel to Daytona Beach, Florida to participate in NDA's National Collegiate Dance Championships. Currently, the Dukettes are ranked 1st in the Nation. While the commitment is a big one, being a part of the JMU Dukettes is an unforgettable and rewarding experience.
- TRYOUTS: Auditions take place in mid to late April to determine who will be on the team.
- SCHEDULE: The Dukettes practice every night of the week for approximately two and a half hours each night. Practices will start soon after tryouts and run through spring semester until our national competition.
- CONTACT: Please feel free to watch the "JMU Dukettes" Facebook page for details on tryouts. Or email JMU Dukettes Coach, Julia Urban at firstname.lastname@example.org
Saturday, April 25th 2015 from 1:00 pm-6:30 pm
Sunday, April 26th 2015 from 8:30 am-1:30 pm
The minimum required skills to be a member of the JMU Dukettes include the following:
- sharp pom motions with proper placement
- triple/quad pirouette
- fouette turns
- switch leap/switch open/switch tilt
- side leap
- toe touch
- jazz style
- hip hop style
- a la seconde turns
- circle disk
CLICK FOR A PRINTER-FRIENDLY VERSION OF THE SCHEDULE.