A-to-Z Index

First Presbyterian Church,

 Harrisonburg

First Presbyterian Church, Harrisonburg

First Presbyterian Church, Harrisonburg

First Presbyterian Church, Harrisonburg, tower

First Presbyterian Church, Harrisonburg, tower

First Presbyterian Church, Harrisonburg, interior

First Presbyterian Church, Harrisonburg, interior

In 1906 Charles Bolton & Son of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania designed the First Presbyterian Church in Harrisonburg.  Built in Indiana limestone, the original south façade on Court Square consists of a gabled design with a very large stained glass window, flanked by two asymmetrical towers. The entrance portal is located in the castellated corner tower. The architects used this design with small variations in other churches in Pennsylvania and New York.

In 1993 the church was enlarged and a second façade was added with a triple entrance portal. The exterior style can be called castellated Gothic because of the crenellations and battlements. The window design and tracery derives from English Decorated Gothic Lady chapels.  On the interior, the original church was a basic cruciform shape with a raised choir and organ loft in the east. A dramatic exposed timber frame roof recalls the hammer beam construction of the Middle Ages.  In the south wall the stained glass window portrays “The Heavenly Jerusalem” as a beautiful landscape. The windows are the oldest set of ecclesiastical stained glass windows in Harrisonburg.

Sherry Matthews