Late Gothic Revival in
In the early twentieth century the Harrisonburg area experienced strong population growth due to land annexation and the coming of the Chesapeake and Western Railroad. The foundation of a state teachers college (1908) and the hospital (1912) helped to stimulate development. A Philadelphia firm specializing in churches, Charles W. Bolton & Son, was brought in to design the First Presbyterian Church (1906) and later St. Stephen’s United Church of Christ (1930). These are “Castellated Gothic” churches interpreted in Indiana limestone and the local bluestone. In 1910 Asbury United Methodist Church was designed by Richmond architect Charles M. Robinson, using an eclectic synthesis of Gothic Revival and Richardsonian Romanesque styles. Brick Country Gothic was still used locally, as in the Broadway Presbyterian Church (1921).