St. Mark’s Lutheran Church,
St. Mark’s Lutheran Church in Luray, Virginia was constructed in 1876, under the original name of Mount Calvary Lutheran Church. The building is in pristine condition, with almost no interior or exterior alterations, except for the addition of a daycare center on the west side.
The style of the church is “Carpenter Gothic,” a type of Gothic Revival which reinterpreted Gothic elements in wood rather than stone. However, the siding is laid horizontally instead of the vertical board-and-batten construction in Carpenter Gothic buildings. The white wooden façade is a simple gabled design with a large square bell tower capped by a short spire. The tower has paired round-headed lancet openings on all four sides.
There is triple-paneled Palladian style stained glass window above the central main portal, with two large round-headed lancet windows flanking the door. The stained glass utilizes geometric patterns, with very little Gothic-inspired tracery. All four corners of the building and on the vertical buttresses that frame the facade, there are pinnacles with small spires. Although the façade displays a mixture of window styles, the corner pinnacles are a notable early Gothic Revival element found elsewhere in the Valley.