A-to-Z Index

Reconstruction Churches

in the Valley


After the Civil War, new churches were founded and old ones renovated. In White Post near Winchester, the Meade Memorial Episcopal Church was erected to honor the Episcopal bishop William Meade. In Luray, which attracted summer tourists for its caverns, Saint Mark’s Lutheran church was built in the “Carpenter Gothic” style. In Harrisonburg, Emmanuel Episcopal Church was built as a brick English parish church.  In Dayton, the United Brethren built a plain brick Gothic Revival church where students from the Shenandoah Conservatory of Music could stage concerts and recitals. In the early 1880s a number of brick “Country Gothic” churches were built, such as Trinity Lutheran in Crimora (near Waynesboro) and Mossy Creek Presbyterian in Mount Solon. The Gothic Revival style lost its close association with the Episcopal Church, and spread to other Protestant faiths. The first Catholic churches were built for Irish railroad workers, such as Saint John the Baptist Church in Front Royal (1884).


St. Mark’s Lutheran Church, Luray

Shepherd of the Valley Church, Dayton