Trinity Episcopal Church
The Rectory of the Trinity Episcopal Church in Staunton is a prime example of the Gothic Revival style in the Valley. Constructed in 1872, the design is attributed to William A. Pratt, the same architect who expanded Trinity Church in 1870. An Englishman, Pratt immigrated to Richmond in the 1850s and worked as a photographer; he designed his very own castle as a residence. In the 1860s he worked as the first superintendent of the grounds at the University of Virginia, and made drawings for a chapel which was never built.
Trinity Rectory, constructed in dark red brick, shows the Gothic Revival style in the pointed arched and gabled windows and hood moldings. Pratt’s extravagance appears in the battlements along the roofline in this modest residence. This technique is reminiscent of much larger castellated Gothic homes in England. Other Gothic Revival elements include the grouped chimney pots, the multiple colonettes supporting the porch roof, and the heavy studded wooden front door.