A-to-Z Index

Trinity Episcopal Church,

Staunton


Trinity Church, Staunton, façade

Trinity Church, Staunton, façade

Trinity Church, Staunton, nave

Trinity Church, Staunton, nave

Founded in 1746, Trinity Church is the oldest church in Staunton.  It was originally known as the Augusta Parish church. The current building was built in three phases between 1855 and the 1880s.  The first architect was the English-born James Wood Johns, who built a rectangular nave and the tower façade. After the Civil War, in 1872, the side aisles were added by another English-born Gothic Revival architect William A. Pratt.

The exterior follows a fairly simple design, with a single, central bell tower in the façade and brick buttressing on the side walls. Transepts were added in the 1880s. The interior has a central and side aisles leading up to the square chancel or choir.  The vaulting and columns over the nave are made of wood, but closer to the apse, the columns and arches are brick.

One of the most significant features of Trinity Church is the twelve Tiffany Studios glass windows, the only ones in the Valley. These are called “opalescent glass” because of the slight changes in color due to variations in light. Trinity Church also has stained glass windows from the Sharpe & Steele Company, the J. & R. Lamb Studios, and the Wippell Window Company.

Carey Milliron