A-to-Z Index

St. Thomas Chapel, Middletown


St. Thomas Chapel Middletown

St. Thomas Chapel, Middletown

St. Thomas Chapel Middletown, façade

St. Thomas Chapel, Middletown, façade

St. Thomas Episcopal Church in Middletown is one of the earliest examples of Gothic Revival architecture in the Shenandoah Valley. Completed in 1836, the simple brick building, which measures only 30 x 50 feet, is painted to look like stucco.  The stepped gable façade of the chapel has a deep set center portal with a pointed arch and two smaller blind arches on either side.  Recessed panels create vertical elements that suggest the wall buttresses found in many smaller Gothic churches. Another Gothic feature is the pointed arched windows with Y-shaped tracery.  According to early records, the trustees looked to Leeds Chapel in Markham (Fauquier County), Virginia for a model. The façade also resembles the first façade of Christ Church Winchester, designed by Robert Mills. During the Civil War the church served as a hospital, but the damage was repaired shortly after the war ended in 1867.

Molly O’Gorman