Women Atherosclerosis Inflammation And Thrombosis (WAIAT)
The WAIAT research project was designed to determine the effects of diet induced weight loss and exercise on traditional (blood pressure, blood cholesterol, BMI, blood glucose) and nontraditional risk factors (hsC-Reactive Protein, fibrinolysis profile, endothelial function, and sleep quality) for cardiovascular disease by using a randomized intervention trial in previously sedentary post menopausal (12 months without a menstrual cycle) women.
The following variables were assessed: blood cholesterol, glucose, body composition (using DEXA scan) and physical fitness (cardiovascular endurance, muscular strength, endurance and flexibility). The study was a 9 week intervention. Participants were randomly assigned to the Diet Intervention or the Exercise Intervention. Individuals in the Diet group completed all of the tests listed above and come to the MBC once a week for 30 minutes to review their dietary intake and body weight. Participants assigned to the Exercise Intervention completed all of the tests listed above and were asked to come to the Crawford Fitness Center (JMU Godwin Hall) 3-4 times per week (60 minutes/day) to complete a prescribed exercise routine designed to increase their cardiovascular and muscular fitness.
Program & Events
- Healthy Kids
- ColorBlast 5K
- Girls Have HEART
- Girls' Golf
- Movin' and Groovin' Day
- Alumnae Health and Fitness Program
- Let's CHAT
- See All
- The Morrison-Bruce Center will still have some events going on this fall!
- Girls' Golf Fall 2013 dates:
- August 31st (Mulligan's) (9am-11am)
September 14th (Mulligan's)
October 5th (Mulligan's)
October 19th (Mulligan’s)*
November 9th (Godwin Hall)
December 7th (Godwin Hall)
- All sessions will run from 9am – 12pm, unless otherwise noted.
- Open to all girls aged 7-17 and girls can start at any time!
- * Rain Location: Godwin Hall on JMU
- Healthy Kids
- Mondays, 6:15-7:30pm
September 16th – November 18th
- Contact the Morrison Bruce Center at email@example.com with questions or to register for any of our programs!