Cardiovascular Risk, Exercise, and Women (CREW)
The CREW research project was designed to determine how traditional (cholesterol, triglycerides, blood glucose, blood pressure) and non-traditional (hsC-Reactive Protein, fibrinolysis profile, endothelial function, and sleep quality) cardiovascular risk factors relate to physical activity, physical fitness, and body composition in postmenopausal women. The current phase of this study is a cross-sectional study that will help establish baseline values of risk factors and fitness for participants. Women who enter the study will be followed and retested at five-year intervals to determine the how longitudinal changes in physical activity, fitness, and body composition affect a woman’s risk for cardiovascular disease.
Participants enrolled in the study will complete several questionnaires regarding their current health behaviors, quality of life, physical activity habits, and health status and have their blood drawn, complete a DXA scan (for body composition and bone density), and undergo a simple, non-invasive ultrasound test that determines blood vessel lining (endothelial) function. Finally, participants will take part in physical fitness testing that determines their cardiovascular and muscular fitness, as well as their flexibility. Testing is spread over three sessions.
This study was funded by a CISAT Teaching and Research Grant, as well as two CISAT Mini-Grants.
If you would like any further information, please contact the Morrison Bruce Center at email@example.com.
Program & Events
- Healthy Kids
- ColorBlast 5K
- Girls Have HEART
- Girls' Golf
- Movin' and Groovin' Day
- Alumnae Health and Fitness Program
- Let's CHAT
- See All
- The Morrison-Bruce Center will still have some events going on this fall!
- Girls' Golf Spring 2014dates:
- January 25th (Godwin Hall)
February 8th (Godwin Hall)
March 22nd (Mulligan’s)*
March 29th (Mulligan’s)
April 12th (Mulligan’s)
- All sessions will run from 9am – 12pm, unless otherwise noted.
- Open to all girls aged 7-17 and girls can start at any time!
- * Inclement weather Location: Godwin Hall on JMU's campus
- Healthy Kids
- Tuesdays, 6:15-7:30pm
January 28th – April 8th
- Contact the Morrison Bruce Center at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or to register for any of our programs!