A-to-Z Index

Frequently Asked Questions

  What is the "Three Strikes" policy?

  I got a letter from Judicial Affairs, now what?

  I'm over 21, what do I need to know?

  Are my parents going to be notified?

  What are my rights as a student? 

  • What is the "Three Strikes" policy?

    Once the Office of Judicial Affairs has found a student responsible for an on-campus or off-campus alchohol or drug violation, they will receive a sanction and a strike. After being found responsible for three alcohol or drug violations, a student may be suspended.

    Return to Top


  • I got a letter from Judicial Affairs, now what?

    If you have received a letter from Judicial Affairs, it means that you have been charged for violating university policy. The letter will list the charge(s) against you, and the page in the handbook that defines the charge.

    Call the Office of Judicial Affairs at 540.568.6218 to make your appointment (called an administrative option hearing, which is explained further in the student handbook).

    Arrive on time (if not a few minutes early) to your scheduled appointment. Missing your appointment, or being late, will result in an additional charge of non-compliance with an official request.

    Several things will happen at your appointment. Your student rights and violation of University policy will be explained, to you. After documentation of incident is presented and you have had the opportunity to explain, the hearing officer will determine responsibility.

    If you are found responsible you can accept or reject the decision of the hearing officer. If you accept the decision, that means you agree to the sanction(s) assigned. If you reject, the University Judicial Council will hear your case. Your hearing officer will explain this procedure further.

    Return to Top


  • I'm over 21, what do I need to know?

    Now that you're 21, things are a little different, but there are still some things to remember.

    The Three Strikes Policy still applies to students over 21 if they are found responsible for any of the following violations:

    Virginia State Laws

    • Purchase of Alcohol for Another (VA Code 4.1-306)
      • Involves purchasing alcohol for an individual who is under 21 years of age, interdicted, or intoxicated
      • Could result in up to 1 year in jail and/or up to $2500 in fines - Class 1 Misdemeanor
    • Illegal Sale of Alcoholic Beverages (VA Code 4.1-302)
      • Involves the sale of alcoholic beverages without a Commonwealth of Virginia license
      • Could result in up to 1 year in jail or $2500 fine - Class 1 Misdemeanor
    • Driving Under the Influence (VA Code 18.2-266)
      • Unlawful to drive or operate any motor vehicle with a BAC of 0.08% or more or under the influence of any alcohol or drug which impairs driving ability
      • Could result in loss of license, insurance rate increases, and adverse effects on present and future employment- Class 1 Misdemeanor
    • Public Intoxication (VA Code 18.2-388)
      • Applies to profanely cursing, swearing or being intoxicated in public
      • Fine up to $250 - Class 4 Misdemeanor
    • Aiding or Abetting in an Alcohol Violation (VA Code 4.1-323)
      • Includes giving your ID to a person under 21
      • Class 1 Misdemeanor
    • Virginia Keg Laws
      • Purchaser cannot allow persons under 21 years of age to consume from the keg
      • Registration seal affixed to the keg cannot be removed or altered and keg must remain in the location that it was registered to

    City of Harrisonburg Local Ordinances:

    • Open Container and Drinking in Public (Code 16-8-51)
      • Applies to any public place including sidewalks and parking lots
      • Class 4 Misdemeanor
    • Drunk in Public (Code 16-7-33)
      • Persons are normally arrested to preserve safety and public peace
      • Class 4 Misdemeanor

    JMU Judicial Violations

    • Open Container and Drunkenness in public areas prohibited (J38-101.1)
    • Kegs, party balls or other large containers with alcohol are prohibited (J38-101.6)
    • Responsibility for guests - student hosts will be held accountable for any damage or violation of regulations by their guests (J31-102)

    Return to Top


  • Are my parents going to be notified?

    The Family Education Rights to Privacy Act (FERPA) prevents us from disclosing information regarding judicial charges to parents/guardians unless the charge is related to alcohol or drugs.

    Therefore, the Office of Judicial Affairs notifies parents/guardians of students under the age of 21 after their first alcohol and/or drug violation(s) and any subsequent violation thereafter. Cases that may involve parental notification include those where students’ cases have been adjudicated on-campus and the student has been found responsible or when a student is arrested or received a citation off-campus for an alcohol and/or drug charge(s).

    Return to Top


  • What are my rights as a student?

    Please refer to the students rights page in our Judicial Process section.

    Return to Top