University Health Center (UHC)
Montpelier Hall, 4th Floor (North Campus, East Tower)
235 Cantrell Avenue
Fax: (540) 568-7803
Monday-Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. (*UHC opens at 9 a.m. every Thursday)
Saturday - 8 a.m.- 12 p.m. (Academic Year only)
Summer Hours: 8 a.m. to 1 pm; 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.
In severe weather conditions, the health center may close, please check the JMU website.
The University Health Center partners with students to empower them to make informed choices by providing a holistic approach to student health, education, wellness and outreach services in a confidential, inclusive, and respectful environment.
- Staffed by physicians, nurse practitioners, registered nurses, physician assistants, health educators, a registered dietitian and support staff trained in young adult health care needs.
- The General Medicine area provides ambulatory, acute care service.
- Critical or emergency situations will be referred to Rockingham Memorial Hospital, now located 3.4 miles east of campus at 2010 Health Campus Drive.
- Allergy clinic, immunization clinic, travel clinic, lab services, and contraception services.
- Women's healthcare services including birth control, gynecologic problems (breast, vaginal infections, period problems), Pap smear and sexual transmitted infection screening.
- Urgent care services for urgent or emergent issues, usually 24 hours or less in duration (injuries, cuts requiring stitches, IV fluids, etc).
- A large array of outreach, prevention and education programs and services.
- Services do not include the cost of prescriptions, lab work, x-rays, hospital care or the services of specialists not on the UHC staff.
- All students must have a completed health record on file with evidence of required immunizations.
- It is strongly recommended that students carry health and accident insurance. This coverage may be through a family policy or the group policy available to JMU students at an additional cost.