Information Technology (IT)
The Information Technology department at James Madison University provides technology services, resources and assistance to all JMU students.
The Computing HelpDesk is a troubleshooting and information hotline for computing questions and issues concerning JMU’s recommended software applications, operating systems, central systems and network operations. For assistance, call the HelpDesk or submit a trouble call via the web.
CampusNet is JMU’s on-campus student Ethernet network that provides students with high-speed access to e-mail, the Internet and other network resources from the residence halls rooms.
- Computers must meet minimum specifications to take advantage of the service.
- Wireless access is available in many academic locations and designated residence halls study lounges.
- Students should not purchase wireless devices for use in the residence halls because of the high probability of interference.
- The “CampusNet Move-In Bonanza” (CMIB) program is held during fall semester move in to assist students in the residence halls in getting their computers operational on the JMU network.
Numerous resources, including StartSafe, exist to help students learn to operate their computers and navigate the Internet safely.
MyMadison allows students to register for classes, coordinate their schedules, check financial aid and account information, buy textbooks and pay tuition bills.
- Windows and Macintosh computers are available in many locations around campus for all JMU students.
- Computing labs offer a variety of word processing, spreadsheet, graphics, presentation and statistical software, and on-site wireless and remote printing (debited from student’s JMU Access Card).
- Two labs are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Dell and Apple hardware warranty repairs are available to all students.
Refer to the following University Policies:
1201 Information Technology Resource Management
1204 Information Security
1205 University Data Stewardship
1207 Appropriate Use of Information Technology Resources
1209 Electronic Messaging