- Outside aid can be scholarships (JMU or private), tuition waivers, veteran benefits, etc.
- A recipient of financial aid at JMU should notify the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships in writing of any other form of outside financial assistance received during the period for which aid is granted. (Instructions for notifying the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships of outside scholarships can be found via the “Supplemental Information Sheet” link in the “Forms” section at www.jmu.edu/finaid )
- All outside scholarship checks forwarded to JMU should contain instructions on which semester(s) they should be applied. Scholarships received with no instructions will all be applied to the semester in which they were received.
- All outside scholarship checks should be mailed to the University Business Office via the instructions found at www.jmu.edu/ubo.
- In some situations, federal and state regulations will require the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships to modify an existing financial aid package based on a student's receipt of outside aid. The potential exists for students to be required to repay financial aid funds already received.