Board of Visitors Meeting Summary of Actions/Discussions
From: Public Affairs
The James Madison University Board of Visitors met Friday, June 4, 2010, in the Board Room of Madisonís Festival Conference and Student Center.
Following is a summary of actions taken by the board and key areas of discussion at the board meeting:
- Approved the April 2, 2010 BOV meeting minutes;
- Elected and approved officers;
- Received the Presidentís report by Dr. Linwood Rose;
- Heard and approved committee reports from Athletics, Audit, Development, Education & Student Life, and Finance & Physical Development;
- Received an update about the Institute for Stewardship of the Natural World from Christie-Joy Brodrick-Hartman;
- Heard and approved a reorganization plan for the College of Arts and Letters presented by Dr. David Jeffrey;
- Approved the 2010-2011 budget presented by Mr. Charles King;
- Approved the real estate purchase of 101 Ė 103 Grace Street and 420 Ė 572 Chesapeake Avenue.
Was told by President Linwood H. Rose:
- that JMU received the Governorís Environmental Excellence Award;
- that JMU was named one of the countryís most responsible environmental colleges by the Princeton Reviewís Guide to 286 Green Colleges;
- that E-Hall was certified LEED Gold;
- that JMU recently honored the achievements of 3,700 graduates;
- that JMUís Alternative Break Program was recognized as the National Program of the Year for 2010;
- that a JMU Honors graduate, Eric Pasciuti, earned a Fulbright Award to teach in Taiwan;
- that JMU is this yearís winner of the Financial Literacy Leadership Award from the National Student Loan Program;
- that JMUís debate team was named the top public program in the nation;
- that JMUís lacrosse team won the CAA championship and went to the Elite 8 in the NCAA tournament and coach Shelley Klaes-Bawcombe was named national coach of the year;
- that JMUís baseball team won the CAA regular season crown;
- that President Rose was appointed to Governor McDonnellís Higher Education Commission.