If you will be living on campus and should arrive before Sunday, January 6, you will need to arrange for your own hotel accommodations. We recommend that you stay at the Best Western Hotel. By staying at the Best Western Hotel you will benefit from a special rate of $59 + tax per room per night.
Move-In Day Procedures (for individuals living on-campus)
- Proceed directly to your assigned residence hall any time after 9am on Sunday. A Hall Director (HD) or Resident Advisor (RA) will be on duty and available to check you in and give you your room key. To get inside the residence (as you may not have a JACard yet) knock on the main door and/or look for a flyer listing the phone number of the staff person of duty. You will be able to use the phone/intercom system found in a box found near the main door and dial the last 5 digits of the phone number of the person on duty.
- You can reach an international Student and Scholar Services staff member on the office phone (540) 568-6119. When on campus, simply dial: 86119 from the emergency phone (in a box) located outside the residence hall or from your room telephone.
- If you do land in Shenandoah Valley Regional Airport (SHD) and require transportation assistance, go to to the airport's website to reserve a shuttle to pick you up from the airport and drop you off where you live!
- Here is a list of local taxi companies:
- ABC Cab (540) 564-1214
- Green Shuttle (540) 810-2074
- Yellow Cab (540) 434-2515
- Royal Cab (540) 438-7777
You can always reach Thomas Lavenir on his office phone at (540) 568-7314. Calls will be forwarded to his cell phone!
Spring 2013 Orientation Schedule
Sunday, January 6 - Location: Taylor Hall 306
- 9am Airport Pick-Up - International graduate students are more than welcome to attend Transitions on Monday morning but we realize that the Graduate Orientation is scheduled then. Come join us after the graduate orientation is over!
- 9:30am Move-In begins- We have some material to give you. Make sure to register and enjoy some breakfast!
- 12:15am Lunch- Let's warm up and enjoy a nice family lunch together. We welcome all of the accompanying parents, relatives and/or guardians to join us
- JMU 101- JMU will become your new home for the length of time of your studies. Explore the campus in small groups with your assigned LINKer.
- Academic Schedule- during this session we will make sure that you will be distributed your academic schedule and quickly go over a few points regarding your academic career
- Campus Tour- While we will be unable to explore the entire campus we wil show you the important buildings and departments which you will need to become familiar with.
- Let's Go Shopping!- We not only want to make sure that you have bed sheets fo your new room, but you will also need other items to make your new living units more convenient and enjoyable.
- 6:15pm Dinner- Let's unwind over a meal and enjoy each other's company!
Tuesday, January 8th - Location: Godwin Steps
- 7pm Let's Go Shopping!- We not only want to make sure that you have bed sheets for your new room, but you will also need other items to make your new living units more convenient and enjoyable.
Wednesday, January 9th - Location: Roop Hall 327
- 7pm Academic Success Workshop!- Attending classes and submitting your work on time is simply not enough to succeed academically. Learn what is expected of you and learn how to best navigate the system during this interactive session.
Thursday, January 10th - Location: Roop Hall 327
- 7pm Campus Involvement Panel- What is the campus culture like? What does one do for fun or how can one make friends around here? Join us for this fun and interactive session which will include some special guests!!
Friday, January 11th - Location: Godwin Steps
- 3-5pm Global Connections: Tea or Coffee?- This weekly event is open to the globally connected student community to provide an opportunity relax with friends around some (free) tea or coffee. Bring your mug or cup with you!
- 3:40pm Let's Open a Bank Account!- If you have already filled out the paperwork to open a bank account with the local Bank of America, you will be joining us to finalize this whole process. You will need to bring with you (a) at least $25, (b) your passport, (c) your I-20 or DS2019.
Saturday, January 12th - Location: Taylor Hall Down Under (or TDU)
- Fun & Games!- New, returning, international and US students are invited to attend this social event. Meet new people, catch-up with your old friends while playing games and enjoying some warm refreshments... in other words let's have fun!
Thursday, January 127th - Location: Festival Conference and Student Center
- 8-10pmStudent Org. Night- Find out the exact number of existing student organizations. What's for sure, is that with over 350 student organizations (from the International student Association, the Chinese Student & Scholar Association, the Saudi Student Association, the Muslim Student Association, etc...) you can make many new friends, and explore your own hobbies and interests with like-minded individuals as well as build your leadership skills! Come to this event to see how you can get involved!
Make sure to also check our calendar of events
for the Spring 2013 semester... "don't be a stranger!"