Arriving or departing by plane:
The following is a list of the nearest airports to JMU's campus:
Distance from campus: About 30 minutes. This airport provides a shuttle service to and from its airport. You can register and pay online at the airport's website. [This is our recommended airport.]
Distance from campus: About 1 hour
- Dulles International Airport (IAD) -
Distance from campus: About 2 hours. [Make sure NOT to confuse this airport with Dallas Airport in Texas]
To and From Harrisonburg:
- ABC Cab (540) 564-1214
- Green Shuttle (540) 810-2074
- Yellow Cab (540) 434-2515
- Royal Cab (540) 438-7777
General cost of a one-way trip from JMU to:
- Charlottesville is: $100
- Dulles Airport is: $220
- Downtown DC is: $230
Keep in mind that many taxi companies will offer reduced rates to JMU students, and if they have to drive more than one passenger to the same location. While we do not recommend any particular taxi companies the Green Shuttle company offers some special rates to Dulles Airport.
- Harrisonburg Bus - Whether you need to go from one end of the campus to the other, or if you wish to head to your off-campus apt. or need to go in Harrisonburg, you can ride the HDPT Buses for free as long as you have your JAC card with you.
- Greyhound (Bus) - The nearest Greyhound bus station is located in downtown Charlottesville.
- Amtrak (Train) - The nearest Amtrak train stations are located in Staunton and downtown Charlottesville. The Staunton Amtrak train station has a limited schedule.
- Home Ride - This bus company leaves from the JMU Bookstore every Friday afternoons and returns on Sunday evenings to go to Northern Virginia, Charlottesville, and Richmond. To purchase your tickets or for more information go to the JMU bookstore.
- College Transit - This bus company provides transportation, during breaks only, to major airports and cities.
JMU Rideboard (Zimride)- This online rideboard is an easy and convenient way to look for individuals who are traveling to the same or nearby destination as yours. The general expectation is that you share the cost of gas.
Obtaining a Driver's License:
To obtain a driver's license, you will need to bring the following documents with you to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV); the office located about 8 minutes away from downtown Harrisonburg:
- An official JMU transcript as a proof of VA residency
- Your passport with your stapled I-94 form as your primary proof of identification
- Your I-20 or DS-2019 as a secondary proof of identification
You will then need to complete the following steps:
- A computer Knowledge Test
- A machine Vision Screening Test
- A Road Skills Test - For this test you will need to provide your own vehicle with a valid inspection sticker, license plates, registration card, working brakes, safety belts, horn, lights, turn signals, mirrors and speedometer.