Frequently Asked Questions
What is ISSS?
JMU's International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) offers support and services to our international community. We are committed to providing timely, accurate and helpful assistance to requests regarding visa issues, employment documents for foreign workers, and all immigration matters pertinent to the students, scholars and staff of JMU. We also provide programs and services to enhance the stay of our international students and scholars, including social activities, informational sessions on issues such as culture shock, academic assistance, etc. Finally, we seek to provide educational programs to the entire campus community highlighting the numerous cultures represented on campus here and to increase awareness of cultures not currently represented.
Where is ISSS located?
oIP's International Student and Scholar Services is located in the James Madison Administrative Complex Building 6, which is directly behind the Massanutten Hall (modern brick building on S. Main Street near Buffalo Wild Wings), in Suite 23. our G.P.S. address is 1031 Harrison St. - Harrisonburg, VA 22807 - USA.
What are the office hours for ISSS?
Normal office hours are Monday - Friday from 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 (noon), and from 1:00 p.m. (13:00) - 5:00 p.m. (17:00) Eastern Time. However, office staff are occasionally at meetings during those hours, so you are encouraged to schedule an appointment or phone ahead to be sure to find someone available.
How do I register for classes?
First Year students and Transfer student will receive direction for course registration through the OneBook steps. For more information about the OneBook refer yourself to the Orientation Office website.
Transfer students should also refer themselves to the following webpage:Students Transferring from Outside of the United States for more information about the transfer of credits.
How do I transfer credits to JMU?
The Transfer Advising web site will provide information about transferring credits from another school.
What is the Health/Immunization form? How important is it?
The Immunization form provides confidential immunization and brief health history on all students at JMU. All students are required to submit an immunization form to the University Health Center. Without it you will be unable to attend classes.
Please be sure to have your form completed. If you are unable to receive all the immunizations, you will be required to get them. Many of the immunizations are available at the University Health Center, however their are fees associated. For more information, check out the University Health Center web site.
Can a package be sent to my campus mailbox prior to my arrival on-campus?
Yes you can, but there are several things that you need to keep in mind:
- Did you sign a housing contract? In order to ensure that you are guaranteed on-campus housing (and that a campus mailbox is therefore created) you will need to have signed a housing contract (which is one of the OneBook steps).
- Only items fitting in a "moving box" will be accepted. In other words, large bulky items will not be stored in the JMU mail center and make it more challenging to retrieve your package.
- Keep in mind that it will be challenging for you to pick-up your package when you arrive. It may only be 2 or 3 days after your arrival on campus when you will be able to obtain your package from the mail center as you will be busy with orientation programs.
- The heavier you package is, the more challenging it will be for you to take it from the mail center to your room.
If a package should be sent to your campus mailbox, it will need to be send to the following address:[Student's First Name] [Student's LAST Name]James Madison Unversity800 South Main St.Harrisonburg, VA 22807 - USA
Will there be bed sheets and/or linens when I arrive in my room?
No there will not be any, but here are a few options worth considering:
- If you live on-campus, you could purchase some from Residentce Hall Linens. The information can be found in the Office of Residence Life's Moving-In section of their website. Make sure to also refer yourself to the "Can a package be sent to my campus mailbox prior to my arrival on campus?" section of the Frequently Asked Questions.
- A shopping trip will be provided during Transitions at which time you will be able to purchase items for your rooms including bed sheets and linen. Keep in mind that the timing of the shopping will most likely be after after your first night in your room.
- You may want to add a sleeping bag or a basic sized-bed sheet for your first night.
- You could also consider spending your first night in Harrisonburg at a local hotel. Refer yourself to the arrival section of this webpage for more information about overnight accomodations.
How do I complete the Emergency Phone Notification step?
It is required that everyone completes the Emergency Phone Notification step, now considering that you are most likely abroad and do not have a US phone it makes it somewhat challenging to know which phone number to include. It turns out that you are given the option of opting out by only sharing your e-mail address. Once you are on campus and will have had the opportunity to purchase a cell phone, you will then need to update your information with your cell phone number.