Skip to Main Content
You are in the main content

Traveling outside the U.S.  

Remaining in good status throughout your stay should allow you to successfully travel in and out of the U.S.  You will need to have your immigration document (Form I-20 or DS-2019) signed before you leave the U.S on one of the ISSS signature days.  You will also need a valid, unexpired visa to reenter the U.S. unless you are traveling to Canada, Mexico or contiguous islands for less than 30 days.  Also keep in mind that a valid visa for entry into other foreign countries may be necessary. 

Checklist for Travel Out of the U.S. During Breaks:

  • Make sure that you have obtained the necessary visa(s) to enter a country other than your home country.  Sometimes a visa is needed even for boarding a connecting flight in an airport. 
  • Make sure you have a valid passport (at least 6 months into the future) throughout your travels.  Passport renewal process.
  • Make sure you have a valid visa to reenter the U.S. after travels.  Visa renewal process.   
  • Make sure your immigration doucment (Form I-20 or DS-2019) has been signed by an ISSS staff member during one of the official signature days. Check the calendar of events for the Signature Days during the semester.

Upon returning to campus, please visit International Student & Scholar Services, so our staff can make a copy of your immigration entry stamp found in your passport and verify that you have been admitted in your correct status.