Skip to Main Content
You are in the main content

Normal Progress

Generally, an F-1 student is considered to be "making normal progress" if he or she pursues and completes the full course of study before the program end date recorded in SEVIS and on his or her currently valid Form I-20.

Extension of I-20

You may find that the time given on your I-20 is not sufficient to meet your education requirements. This is especially true if you have changed or added a major or you wish to obtain several minors prior to graduation. If you find that you need an extension of your I-20, you must complete the Request for Extension Form and return it to the DSO at ISSS PRIOR TO THE EXPIRATION OF YOUR CURRENT I-20. We are unable to extend the I-20 in SEVIS after the expiration of your current I-20. Also, please note that we are legally not permitted to extend your I-20 if you need the extension only because you have performed poorly academically and have therefore not accrued the number of credits you need to graduate.

Suspension from JMU

JMU is required by immigration regulations to terminate the SEVIS record of any student who is no longer attending classes due to academic or behavioral suspension. Should this occur, the 60 day grace period for leaving the United States after completion of the program no longer is applicable. You will need to make arrangements to leave the country immediately.