F-1: Maintaining Student Status
Once a student is admitted to the United States in F-1 status, s/he must meet certain obligations relative to the student visa. The student in F-1 status must:
- Maintain a valid passport all times;
- Attend the school the student was authorized to attend;
- Maintain a full course of study;
- Apply for extension of stay before expiration of present I-20;
- Follow proper procedures to continue in F-1 status from one educational level to another;
- Follow proper procedures to transfer to another school;
- Limit on-campus employment to 20 hours or less per week while school is in session;
- Refrain from off-campus employment, including paid or unpaid internships, without proper authorization from the Designated School Office in International Student and Scholar Services and/or the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services;
- Report a change of address to the Designated School Official in International Student and Scholar Services within 10 days of any move.
You are required to complete the SEVIS Registration through the ISSS Portal at the beginning of each semester. You will need to provide copies of your passport, valid visa, I-20, and most recent entry stamp in your passport.