The fifteen LINKers work closely together and also individually to:
(1) Attend all meeting/ training sessions in the spring semester and late summer.
(2) Assist the Admissions Office, the International Study Center and the International Student Scholar Services office in connecting with and answering the questions of prospective and accepted international students and their parents.
(3) Play a significant role in the Orientation program (Transitions) for new International Students.
i. Assist with the early move-in process
ii. Greet students and parents
iii. Answer questions and concerns
iv. Facilitate and conducte small group discussions
v. Lead group activities and shopping trips
vi. Assist ISSS staff members.
(4) Serve as a mentor and a role model to LINKees in their personal, academic, social and cultural adjustments to studying and living in the U.S. and at JMU; and enable students to make reasoned and well-informed choices.
(5) Check in with assigned LINKees periodically via email and in person throughout their first year at JMU.
(6) Serve as a student host during the International Student Leadership Conference in March
(7) Assist the oIP-ISSS office during special occasions. For example, you may be asked to (8) Assist oIP-ISSS staff members to assess, implement, and further develop the LINK program, including but not limited to assist LINKer Recruitment for the following year.
LINKers are expected to:
- Commit to 2 (Spring & Fall) semesters and attend all of the meetings/ training sessions
- Bi-monthly meetings in the Spring and Fall semesters.
- International Student Leadership Conference (ISLC): March 27 (4-11pm) & Saturday March 28 (8am - 11:30pm) 2015.
- Be back in Harrisonburg by August ??, 2015.
- Participate in Transitions and the following general orientation days.
- Submit 1 blog entry, conduct a campus tour and a group project and other duties as assigned.
- Be in good academic and immigration status
- You must have completed at least 2 semesters at JMU (by Spring 2015).
- You must have a 2.5 cumulative GPA.
- You cannot be both an RA and a LINKer at the same time. Individuals who are or who will become RAs in the Fall semester will not be considered for the position.
- You may have another job in addition to being a LINKer as long as you do NOT work more than 15 hours per week.
- Perform all assigned duties timely, responsibly, and professionally.
- Represent and support the mission and goals of oIP-ISSS and James Madison University.
- Maintain a high energy level, enthusiasm, and stamina when working long days.
- Communicate promptly and effectively with new students, their family members, and oIP-ISSS staff members.
- Be ready to take your leadership and communication skills to the next level.
- Enjoy hard but rewarding work.
- Learn and grow through the position!
- Be ready to have fun!
Why should YOU become a LINker?
- Meet some amazing people
- Make new friends
- Make JMU a more international friendly campus
- Be the first one to know and meet the new international students
- Add great experiences to your resume
- Work for a great cause (recruiting and retaining new international students)
- Work with a great team (fellow LINKers, oIP & the Admissions Office staff)
- Wear a great and free LINK T-shirt
- You are guaranteed an on-campus job for two semesters (Spring and Fall)
- Earn $1,000
For more information, contact:
JMAC 6, Suite 23 - MSC 5731