The 15 LINKers (both returning and new ones) work closely together and also individually to develop their leadership and intercultural skills by :
(1) Attending all meeting/ training sessions in the spring semester and late summer.
(2) Assisting the Admissions Office, the International Study Center and the International Student Scholar Services office in connecting with and answering the questions of prospective and accepted international students and their parents.
(3) Playing a significant role in the Orientation program (Transitions) for new International Students.
i. Assist with the early move-in process
ii. Greet students and parents
iii. Answer questions and concerns
iv. Facilitate and conduct small group discussions
v. Lead group activities and shopping trips
vi. Assist ISSS staff members.
(4) Serving as a mentor and a role model to LINKees in their personal, academic, social and cultural adjustments to studying and living in the U.S. and at JMU; and enable students to make reasoned and well-informed choices.
(5) Checking in with their assigned LINKees periodically via email
(6) Serving as student hosts during the International Student Leadership Conference in late March/ early April
(7) Assisting the oIP-ISSS office during special occasions.
LINKers are expected to:
- Commit to 2 (Spring & Fall) semesters and attend all of the meetings/ training sessions
- Bi-monthly meetings in the Spring and Fall semesters.
- International Student Leadership Conference (ISLC): April 1 (4-11pm) & Saturday April 2 (8am - 11:30pm) 2016.
- Be back in Harrisonburg by August 21, 2016.
- Participate in Transitions and the following general orientation days.
- Submit 1 blog entry, conduct a campus tour and a group project
- Be in good academic and immigration status
- You must have completed at least 2 semesters at JMU (by Spring 2016).
- You must have a 2.5 cumulative GPA.
- You cannot be both an RA and a LINKer. Individuals who are or who will become RAs in the Fall semester will not be considered for the position.
- You may have another job in addition to being a LINKer as long as you do NOT work more than 15 hours per week.
- Perform all assigned duties timely, responsibly, and professionally.
- Represent and support the mission and goals of oIP-ISSS and James Madison University.
- Maintain a high energy level, enthusiasm, and stamina when working long days.
- Communicate promptly and effectively.
- Be ready to take your leadership and communication skills to the next level.
- Enjoy hard but rewarding work.
- Learn and grow through the position!
- Be ready to have fun!
For more information, contact:
JMAC 6, Suite 23 - MSC 5731