The LINK Program
What is the “LINK program?”
LINK stands for Leader for International Networking & Knowledge and consists of 10 JMU students (called LINKers). They serve as the main links between incoming and the current JMU globally minded students. Their resposibilities consist of positively impacting their lives.
Ultimately, the LINK program is devised to:
- Assist in the recruitment of new JMU globally minded students
- Improve the retention of the globally minded community
- Develop the LINKers’ leadership skills
What do the LINKers do exactly?
- Communicate with prospective and admitted globally minded students.
- Serve as conference hosts by welcoming and guiding conference participants around, and facilitate group activities and sessions.
- Act as orientation leaders during Transitions by leading small group discussions, campus tours, acting in a play, etc…
- Serve as a role models and peer mentors for new globally minded students.
- Positively impact the campus climate for globally minded students.
Tell me more...
- They serve as conference hosts for the International Student Leadership Conference (ISLC) in March. They help the participants navigate the conference site, make them feel welcome and ensure that they do have a positive experience overall. Furthermore, they serve as group leader to facilitate different activities, conversations, and games throughout the conference.
- Any new prospective and admitted globally minded students can be in touch with them. Check out the "ask an international student" section found on the JMU international admissions' webpage
- Admitted globally minded students can refer themselves to the LINKers' Top Ten Reasons to Choose JMU handout.
- The LINKers meet all of the new globally minded students during Fall Transitions as they serve as 'student orientation leaders.'
- The LINKers partake in the many monthly events and activities organized by the International Student and Scholar Services' office
- They take on different projects such as developing handouts, activities, and proposals to help the globally minded community better integrate this campus. One very exciting and useful project that will benefit prospective and admitted students who are unable to visit JMU is a virtual campus tour of our campus.
Why should YOU become a LINker?
- Meet some amazing people
- Make new friends
- Make JMU a more international friendly campus
- Be the first one to know and meet the new international students
- Add great experiences to your resume
- Improve your leadership skills
- Work for a great cause (recruiting and retaining new international students)
- Work with a great team (fellow LINKers, oIP & the Admissions Office staff)
- Wear a great and free LINK T-shirt
- You are guaranteed an on-campus job for two semesters (Spring and Fall)
- Earn $1,000
For more information, contact:
JMAC 6, Suite 23 - MSC 5731