JMU Short-Term Programs
Application and Admission Procedures
To be considered for admission into JMU's international programs, you must be in good academic standing, hold a cumulative GPA of at least 2.00, or the minimum GPA as determined for the program, at the time of application. Applying early and meeting this minimum GPA does not, however, guarantee admission; additional eligibility criteria apply for most programs. Applications from freshmen in their first semester at JMU will be reviewed after semester grades are posted.
Admission to all programs is based, minimally, on a review by the JMU faculty program director and a verification of your records via PeopleSoft, the university's information system, not limited to but including your status according to Academic Affairs, Student Affairs, Judicial Affairs, and University Business Office. Your participation may be denied if your university records or conduct prior to departure raise doubts that you should be allowed to participate in an international experience.
Applications are collected throughout the academic year beginning on the first day of fall semester classes in August for the upcoming open terms. Your application will be processed after the following deadline:
November 1, 2013
(see program pages for exceptions, several programs may have a October 15, 2013 deadline)
Applications received after November 1 will be accepted on a rolling, space-available basis until March 1. After March 1, programs will be reviewed to determine if a sufficient number of students have paid deposits for the program to run.
The application for admission has a number of parts, all of which must be received by the oIP before your application can be processed. Please make certain that you have completed all steps in the application process.
A completed Short-Term Abroad Program application consists of the following components:
- Application form in Adobe pdf fillable format - please type and print
- Essay, letter of recommendation, supplemental forms, and/or interview
*(your program's web site will note if any of these requirements are needed)*
- Official transcript required for first-semester transfer students and non-JMU students.
Submitting your application
Submit your completed application to the:
Office of International Programs, JMAC 6, Suite 22, MSC 5731, Harrisonburg, VA 22807.
You are strongly encouraged to deliver your application in person; however, applications may be mailed to oIP.
JMU offers financial aid for students on JMU programs subject to the standard restrictions. For more information, please contact JMU's Financial Aid Office.
The decision on your admission into a program comes in two stages:
1. Admission is based on your general suitability for study abroad and will considered based on a combination of factors:
- your most recent cumulative GPA
- academic background in your proposed field of study
- professor's recommendation (if applicable to your program)
- essay and other application materials (if applicable to your program)
- adequate language preparation (if applicable to your program)
- class level or seniority
2. You will be notified of the admission decision by the notification date (see below). You will be notified of your acceptance status officially by an emailed acceptance letter from the oIP. Please note that although you may receive informal communication from your program director regarding the status of your acceptance, your admission to the program is not official until you receive the acceptance letter from the oIP. Acceptance is contingent on maintaining the minimum GPA required for the program and on review of your record with Academic Affairs, Student Affairs, and University Business Office.
Application Deadline: November 1, 2013 (see below for late applications)
- Notification Date: November 27, 2013
- Acceptance Deadline: December 8, 2013
*Note: Freshman and first semester students will be notified after semester grades are posted and reviewed. Email notice will be given by January 10, 2014.
Applications received after November 1 will be reviewed on a weekly basis until programs are filled or until March 1.
Choosing to Enroll
Upon acceptance, an email link will direct you through the admission materials and a $500 deposit charge will be placed on your JMU student account. The link will include the forms you need to enroll.
If you wish to participate, the following items must be completed by the acceptance deadline stated in the official acceptance notice and forms returned to the Office of International Programs, JMAC 6, Suite 22, MSC 5731.
- Pay the non-refundable $500 Deposit
- Sign Statement of Intent to Participate form
- Completed Health and Emergency Treatment Authorization form
- Provide a copy of your passport identification page
(if you do not have a passport, apply now)
**NOTE: Passports can take 6-8 weeks to process
Important Note: Space is limited in some programs, and some students will be placed on waiting lists until after the acceptance deadline for admitted students. Failure to return the above items by the stated deadline may result in your space being given to a waiting-list student.
Students who choose to cancel enrollment or withdraw from a James Madison University study abroad program must complete the Cancellation/Withdrawal Notification Statement and return it to the Office of International Programs. Cancellations must be made in writing and submitted in person or by fax to be accepted and processed. No phone calls or emailed cancellations. Cancellations are effective the same day JMU OIP receives written notification from the enrolled student. Students failing to officially cancel/withdraw from the program by submitting this form will be responsible for all program fees.
Any questions or concerns?
Call oIP at 540-568-6419 or send an e-mail message to: firstname.lastname@example.org.