It's great that you're interested in preparing yourself for a career in medicine at James Madison University.
Students should know that "pre-medicine" is a preparation program and not an academic major. Pre-medicine students at JMU typically obtain a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) or Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree while completing the requirements for admission to medical school. Medical schools do not require or prefer a particular undergraduate major. Admissions committees welcome students whose intellectual curiosity leads them to a wide variety of disciplines. Select a major based on your interests and aptitudes - you will do much better work and achieve better grades if you choose a major with this in mind. Besides, your academic major will help guide your career planning should you decide not to apply or if you are not accepted to medical school.
Medical schools have different requirements for admission and you will need to become knowledgeable about individual requirements as soon as possible. In addition to meaningful exposure and experience in health care settings, medical schools recognize the importance of a strong foundation in biology, chemistry, physics and mathematics. Thus, applicants must complete course requirements and demonstrate proficiency in the sciences as evidenced by the science GPA and scores on the MCAT.
Please consult Dr. Sharon Babcock, Coordinator of the Pre-medicine Program, for more specific information.
- JMU Pre-Medicine Advising Information Sheet (PDF)
- PPH Pre-requisite Coursework for the “Competitive” Applicant (PDF)
- National Allopathic (MD) Medical School Admissions ( GPA/ MCAT)
- Direct Entry Profiles for US MD and DO programs (PDF)
- Which Allopathic & Osteopathic Medical Schools? Which majors? (PDF)
- GPA and MCAT patterns associated with medical school admission (PDF)
- Association of American Medical Colleges
- American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine
- Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT)
- Allopathic Medical School Admissions Requirements
- Osteopathic Medical College Information Book