A-to-Z Index

Employment Basics


A link to MyMadison, your gateway to JMU web information, is located in the Login section under the Faculty and Staff link on JMU’s main website, http://www.jmu.edu/. After logging in, you may access a tutorial which explains the different ways you can customize your pages in MyMadison with your most frequently used links and resources. Depending on your affiliation with the university, you may also see a Student tab, Faculty tab, or Advisor tab in addition to the Employee tab.

From the Employee tab, you are able to access the university’s online pay, leave entry and personal information systems to:

  • view 1500-hour information;
  • add or edit leave requests;
  • view leave balances and history;
  • view pay advice and other compensation;
  • complete/change tax forms and direct deposit forms;
  • enroll in training;
  • view training summary;
  • include a nickname;
  • change one’s home address;
  • update office/campus directory and emergency contact information;
  • request university emergency notification on one’s cell phone; and
  • maintain a personal record of learning and development achievements.

Direct Deposit, Deductions, and Pay

As a condition of employment, employees must participate in JMU’s direct deposit program. This program provides for pay to be automatically deposited into a maximum of four accounts at the financial institution(s) of your choice. Additionally, employees may view their pay information via My Madison, JMU’s Employee Self Service system.

The following items, if applicable, must be deducted from an employee’s pay: Social Security (FICA), federal withholding tax, and Virginia state withholding tax. An employee may choose to have other deductions taken out of his/her pay including, but not limited to, tax-deferred annuities, AFLAC, parking fees, and contributions to the university.

Pay is issued on the 16th of each month for hours worked the 16th through the 31st of the previous
month, and on the last work day of each month for hours worked the 1st through the 15th of the current month. Should that day fall on a weekend or a holiday, you will be paid on the previous business day. It is federal law that the name on an employee’s pay advice matches the name on his/her Social Security Card. The employee may be subject to a fine if the information is incorrect. Visit Payroll Services website for additional payroll information and to view their pay calendar and deadlines.

Time Entry

Detailed time entry instructions can be found on payroll’s JMU Time Entry webpage or by contacting Payroll Services at (540) 568-6233 for information on reporting hours worked.

JMU Identification Card (JACard)

The James Madison University Access Card (JACard) is your official JMU identification card. With this card, employees will have access to university recreational facilities, computer labs, libraries, and cultural events. Personal FLEX Accounts may be used to access goods or services including campus vending machine products, campus dining facilities and ticket purchases for athletic events, as well as to make purchases at many retail locations on and off campus. Employees may deposit money into a declining balance FLEX Account by payroll deduction, in person at the Warren Hall location, and online using a credit card. To obtain a card, visit Card Services on the 3rd floor of Warren Hall. For information visit Card Services website or call (540) 568-6446 for assistance.


Faculty and staff who park on university-owned or leased property are responsible for obtaining and displaying a valid JMU parking permit. For the latest information concerning employee vehicle registration, refer to the Faculty/Staff sections on the Parking Services website, or call (540) 568-3300 for assistance.

< Previous   Next >