November HR Update
Timely Leave Reminders
- The campus is closed Wednesday, November 21 through Friday, November 23 for Thanksgiving break. Eligible employees who work on holidays will earn compensatory leave in accordance with leave policies stated in the Classified Employee Handbook.
- The 2012 Personal Day must be used by January 9, 2013 and taken in its full eight-hour increment.
- In accordance with Department of Human Resource Management Policy 4.25, classified employees must either work on, or be on paid leave, the workday before and the workday after the holiday in order to be paid for JMU holidays. Taking unpaid leave the day before or the day after a holiday will result in unpaid holiday time. Contact Dianna Jarrell, HR’s Absence Programs Coordinator, (540) 568-3974, email@example.com with questions regarding this policy.
- Classified employees should review their current vacation balance with their supervisor and plan to use hours that will exceed their maximum carry-over limit. Excess vacation hours must be used before January 10, 2013.
- Detailed information about unscheduled campus closings is found in JMU Policy 1309 University Closings, Class Cancellations and Exam Postponements due to Inclement Weather or Emergencies.
- When an employee misses more than three consecutive days of work because of illness or injury, the supervisor should contact one of the following HR benefits team members to ensure the employee receives the benefits which may be available to them, such as Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), sick leave or the Virginia Sickness and Disability Program (VSDP).
Dianna Jarreell, Absence Programs Coordinator, (540) 568-3974, firstname.lastname@example.org
Diane Ricketson, Disability Benefits Coordinator, (540) 568-5533, email@example.com
Becky Sanford, Workers' Compensation Coordinator, (540) 568-2358, firstname.lastname@example.org
Free Flu Shots
Free flu shots are available to state health plan participants. A list of participating offices and pharmacies, along with program details, is available at http://www.dhrm.state.va.us/hbenefits/flushotinformation.html. Call ahead to make sure the flu vaccine is still available.
Human Resources Staff on the Move
HR has many exciting new staff changes to share with you:
Test Your 2013 Modified Summer Schedule Knowledge
The recently announced 2013 modified summer schedule will be in effect May 6, 2013 – August 16, 2013.
Q: Is this new schedule mandatory for the entire campus? If so, can employees work a flexible schedule within the modified schedule?
A: Employees/departments may not opt out of the new modified summer schedule for the university. Offices/departments are expected to have coverage until 5:30 p.m. Monday - Thursday and to close at noon on Fridays.
Supervisors can provide flexible schedules for their employees. For instance, if some employees wish to begin work Monday - Thursday at 7:30 a.m. instead of 8:00 a.m. and work until 5:00 p.m. instead of 5:30 p.m. that is fine. Again, the expectation is that offices will be open from 8:00 a.m. until 5:30 p.m. Monday - Thursday, 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 noon on Fridays.
Networking is an art. Human Resources recently shared these professional etiquette tips for successful networking, compliments of Judy Rannow, Professional Development Specialist, JMU Training and Development, in a Facebook post:
- Nametags should be worn on the right side so when you shake hands, you can read the name on the nametag.
- Shaking Hands: Make sure to shake hands in an appropriate manner; not too hard, not too soft, and not too long. This should be about right – “gently squeeze, pump, pump, release” – a perfect handshake!
Facilitation Skills for Facilitators Grants and JMU Foundation Accounts Health Insurance and Flexible Reimbursement Accounts Leadership Secrets of Santa Claus Mentoring Basics Quizdom for Facilitators Safety Series: Sexual Assault Prevention
A Snapshot of Upcoming Training Sessions Offered by JMU Training and Development
For additional information or to arrange customized sessions for your department, contact Suzanne Vance, Training Coordinator, (540) 568-4101, email@example.com.