Cover Photo Image


Prepared by the Office of Human Resources



From Human Resources

I’d like to personally welcome you to James Madison University. It’s an exciting time for us as we look to the future and continue to grow, adapt, and respond to the needs and dreams of our employees, our community, our students and the many partners we have around the country and the world!

James Madison University provides many opportunities for personal and professional growth, and the Human Resources office is here to help you navigate through your employment and assist however we are able.

This handbook is one way for us to provide information that is relevant to your employment with JMU. You can also find many helpful resources on our website. Our office is located at 752 Ott Street in the Wine-Price building and we are glad to serve you there in person as well. The Human Resources direct phone number is 540-568-6165.

JMU is recognized nationally for many things: academic quality, teaching excellence, student retention, graduation rates, community engagement, environmental and social responsibility, athletics, campus beauty and hospitality. Recognition like this happens, in large part, because of the dedicated people who work here… people like you.

Again, welcome to James Madison University.

Diane Yerian

HR Director

Our Mission

Human Resources is dedicated to customer service, a positive approach to change and the pursuit of excellence that promotes university and individual success.



This is neither an employment contract nor an invitation to a contract of any kind. The policies, procedures and other information contained in the Classified Staff Handbook may be changed by the university and/or the Commonwealth of Virginia without notice.

Human Resources compiled information on personnel matters frequently of interest to James Madison University’s staff members. Questions relating to your department should be directed to your immediate supervisor. Questions relating to university and/or Commonwealth of Virginia policies and other personnel matters should be directed to Human Resources at 540-568-6165 or researched on HR’s website.





JMU is committed to supporting the practice, spirit and good-faith efforts regarding equal opportunity and diversity, beyond mere compliance with government regulations. A commitment to diversity is a commitment to all members of the university community. Diversity among staff, students and faculty offers the university an opportunity to realize its mission. JMU Policy 1302

JMU is dedicated to providing a workplace and learning environment free from discrimination and harassment. James Madison University will not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, parental status, political affiliation, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or veteran status. Conduct by a member of the university community that constitutes discrimination or harassment on the basis of any protected class is a violation of university policy and is sanctionable. JMU Policy 1324

The Office of Equal Opportunity can provide information and assist you in understanding the process for filing a complaint of any form of discrimination or harassment with the university: Step by step guidelines for filing a complaint.

Note: Harassment on the basis of sex, sexual orientation, gender or gender identity is defined as sexual harassment. Sexual harassment also includes sexual assault, sexual misconduct, and sexual violence. All complaints of sexual harassment and misconduct are managed by the Title IX Office. If you are experiencing sexual harassment, please contact the Title IX Office. JMU Policy 1340

The JMU Director of the Office of Equal Opportunity is Mr. James Robinson 540-568-6991, OEO,

The JMU Title IX Coordinator is Ms. Amy Sirocky-Meck, 540-568-5219, TitleIX,


The university will provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with documented disabilities to ensure equal access and equal opportunities with regard to university employment, university educational opportunities, and the university's programs and services.

Inquiries or requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities may be directed to a Benefits Specialist. JMU Policy 1331

The JMU ADA, Section 504 Coordinator is Mr. James Robinson, Director of the Office of Equal Opportunity, 540-568-6991, OEO,



Probationary Period JMU Policy 1322

The probationary period is an introductory period of employment that allows the employee and JMU to determine if the employee is suited for the job. During the probationary period, employees may be terminated with or without cause, and without access to the State Grievance Procedure.

Employees who are hired/re-hired into a classified position must serve a 12-month probationary period, effective from the date of employment/re-employment. Employees who have completed a probationary period during their current employment, and who begin a new classified position with no break in service, are usually not required to serve a new probationary period.

The normal probationary period is 12 months; however, probationary periods may be extended for up to six additional months for performance reasons, if an employee is absent for an extended period, or if an employee moves to another position within the last six months of the 12-month period.

Probationary reviews are conducted at three, six, and nine months, and three weeks prior to completion of the probationary period. Employees may be rated as a Contributor or Below Contributor during their probationary period.

Employee Work Profile (EWP)

The position description identifies the essential core responsibilities and measures of the position. Core responsibilities are the job duties that are important to the type of work performed by an employee and remain relatively consistent during the performance cycle. Measures are observable performance and behavioral outcomes that define success. The position description also identifies any special assignments for the employee and communicates overriding departmental values expected for all department employees. The employee's supervisor creates the position description in PositionLink when a new position is established. It is updated by the supervisor when a new employee is hired into the position, and when job duties and responsibilities change. It is also reviewed for accuracy throughout the year and should be updated any time there are changes to the job. It is common to update the position description during the performance evaluation process.

Performance Evaluation Process JMU Policy 1305

Formal performance evaluations serve as an effective feedback tool to help the employee identify performance strengths and areas in need of further development. It may also enhance communication between employees and supervisors. The performance review period for non-probationary, classified employees is an annual cycle and runs each year from October 25 to October 24.

Supervisors review position descriptions at the beginning of the cycle. The position description is the basis for evaluating employee performance throughout the entire performance cycle.

The supervisor rates the employee's performance toward the end of the review period by comparing actual performance to the measures indicated in the position description. Non-probationary employees receive an overall performance rating of Extraordinary Contributor, High Contributor, Contributor, Moderate Contributor, or Below Contributor. The assessment of the performance evaluation form is used for both the employee self-evaluation and the annual performance evaluation. In conjunction with the performance evaluation, an Individual Professional Development Plan (IPDP) is created. The employee and the supervisor use this form to record the employee's current training desires, and short and long-term career goals. It is a written plan for developing knowledge, skills and competencies that support both the organization's objectives and the employee's needs and goals.

Salary increases for performance (merit increases), if funded, are typically effective November 25 of each year or at a time determined by the General Assembly.


Recording Time/Attendance

In accordance with the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), employers must maintain an accurate record of hours worked for each covered, non-exempt worker. This information includes regular hours worked, leave taken, leave without pay, overtime/compensatory hours earned, and regular days off. For recording purposes, non-exempt employees are provided with a Time and Attendance Record. At the end of the leave year (January 9), employees must submit a completed record to Human Resources. All Time and Attendance Records are subject to yearly audit.

Non-exempt and exempt employees must report leave taken to Human Resources by using the Leave feature in MyMadison, where employees can add or edit leave requests or view leave balances.


Full-time, classified employees normally work a minimum of 40 hours per week. The university's standard workweek begins 12:01 a.m. Sunday and ends at 12:00 midnight Saturday. Normal work hours are from 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Employees in certain areas may work non-standard shifts or workweeks to provide adequate coverage and service to the university community.

Meal/Lunch Periods

Employees who work at least six consecutive hours may be afforded a lunch period (meal break) of at least 30 minutes, except in situations where shift coverage precludes such lunch breaks. Lunch periods may be staggered to provide departmental coverage. The lunch period does not count as time worked.

Rest Periods

Supervisor’s may grant employees who work an 8-hour day or longer a maximum of one 15-minute rest break before and one 15-minute rest break after the lunch period, but are not required to do so.

  • Rest breaks must be taken separately.
  • Rest breaks, if taken, do count as time worked; however, they cannot be used to extend the lunch period or be placed at the beginning or end of the day to shorten the work day or offset late arrivals.

Questions about Meal and Rest Periods? Please contact your HR Consultant. See also: Hours of Work DHRM Policy 1.25.

Late Arrivals or Absences

Occasionally, unplanned circumstances may occur that cause employees to arrive late or to miss work. It is expected that late arrivals and absences will be kept to a minimum. It is the employee’s responsibility to inform his/her supervisor when they will be late or absent as soon as possible, prior to the beginning of the shift. At the start of employment, the supervisor will communicate requirements for reporting late arrival or absence, including whom to  contact should the supervisor not be available. Failure to report a late arrival or absence according to the university/departmental requirements may result in disciplinary action.

During normal work hours, an employee should not leave his/her work area for personal matters (other than lunch or breaks) without permission from the supervisor or the supervisor’s designee. Excessive or habitual tardiness or absence is a violation of JMU Policy 1317, Standards of Conduct and Performance for Classified Employees.

Provisions for Granting Overtime and Compensatory Leave JMU Policy 1303

Federal law requires university employees, who are classified as non-exempt employees under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), to be paid one and one-half times their regular rate of pay or receive overtime leave in lieu of overtime pay, for any hours worked over the standard 40-hour workweek. A non-exempt employee cannot work overtime without prior authorization or direction given by the supervisor.

An employee who may be required to work more hours than normally scheduled on certain days, but does not exceed the 40-hour workweek, is not entitled to overtime because the actual number of workweek hours did not exceed 40.

Employees classified as exempt from the FLSA are not eligible for overtime.

Overtime Leave

In lieu of receiving cash payments for overtime, an employee may elect to receive overtime leave, if available through his/her department. Overtime leave allows an employee to earn 1.5 hours of leave for each hour physically worked over 40 within the established workweek. An employee may only earn up to 60 hours of overtime leave. Overtime leave is paid out upon separation, based on current salary.

Compensatory Leave

Non-exempt employees earn compensatory leave (comp leave) for hours worked on a holiday, hours worked on an authorized closing if in designated positions or when over 40 hours have been accounted for during the work week, but not physically worked over 40. Granted hour-for-hour, compensatory leave must be authorized by a supervisor. It may be used for any purpose and must be used within 12 months of the date earned or it will expire. Once lapsed, accrued compensatory leave may not be used or paid off upon an employee's change of status.

Exempt employees do not earn compensatory time, except when required to work on a university holiday or during inclement weather closures.

Alternative Work Schedules JMU Policy 1310

In some instances, alternative work schedules may be necessary to provide effective services to the university community. When feasible, the university also tries to provide employees with a work schedule that is flexible enough to allow an opportunity to balance work and other responsibilities. Alternative work schedules must be approved by your supervisor and may include flextime, job sharing and less-than-12-month agreements.

University Closings, Class Cancellations and Exam Postponements Due to Inclement Weather or Emergencies JMU Policy 1309

Decisions to close all non-essential university operations will be made by the Senior Vice President of Administration and Finance. When bad weather or another emergency situation causes the university to open late, close early or be closed for a full day, you will be compensated for the time off. Many employees are considered non-designated and are not required to work when the university is closed due to inclement weather or other emergency situations. However, to continue to provide services to students, some positions are considered designated and, as a condition of employment, must report to work when the university is officially closed due to inclement weather or during other emergency conditions.

If you are designated as an “essential” classified employee, you will receive compensatory leave for the hours worked during a normally scheduled shift, whether it is an entire shift closing or a partial shift closing. Should you be required to work in excess of the 40 hours in a normal workweek, you will be compensated in accordance with the Federal Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) for the excess time worked (overtime pay/leave) provided you are in a non-exempt classification.

Designated “essential” classified employees who do not report to work as scheduled, or who must leave before the end of the shift during an authorized closing, must charge time missed to annual, sick, compensatory leave or leave without pay as appropriate. A designated classified employee's failure to report to work as required during an authorized closing may be grounds for discipline under the Standards of Conduct and Performance for Classified Employees JMU Policy 1317.

Non-designated (non-essential) classified employees are expected to report to work on time. However, when weather conditions create transportation difficulties that result in late arrival, supervisors may authorize up to two hours of lost time as an authorized absence not charged to leave.

For information regarding late openings or official closings, listen to local television and radio stations, visit the JMU website or call 540-433-5300. Employees can also authorize JMU to provide emergency notifications via text message or voice message to the employee's cell phone through MyMadison.

University Holidays JMU Policy 1102

The President signs into effect each calendar year a schedule of official university holidays. The schedule includes New Year's Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Thanksgiving, the day after Thanksgiving, and a winter break. It may also include time for spring break and other appropriate holidays, up to the number set by the Commonwealth of Virginia as holidays for state employees. For a list of holidays during which the university will be closed, refer to the HR website.

To receive holiday pay, employees must either work or be on paid leave the workday before and the workday after the holiday, with the exception of a holiday that falls on the first day of a pay period. Employees that are scheduled to begin employment or return from leave on the first workday of a pay period (10th or 25th) and that day is also a holiday, the first day of the pay period will be considered the first day worked and the employee will be eligible to receive holiday pay.

Employees working on holidays/recognition leave days may receive pay or compensatory leave for the number of holiday hours proportionate to their work schedules, not to exceed eight hours.

Outside/Additional Employment

In accordance with the Standards of Conduct and Performance for Classified Employees JMU Policy 1317, employees are expected to obtain approval from their supervisor prior to accepting outside employment. Also, in accordance with Conflict of Interests JMU Policy 1106, no JMU employee shall accept any business or professional opportunity when that employee knows that there is a reasonable likelihood that the opportunity that is being afforded will influence him or her in the performance of his or her official duties.


Annual Leave/Vacation DHRM Policy 4.10

Full-time, classified employees accrue paid annual leave that can be taken for any purpose. Annual leave is subject to supervisor's approval based on the business needs of the department. The leave year runs from January 10 of the current year through January 9 of the following year. The rate at which annual leave is accrued depends on length of state service. An employee must work an entire pay period or be on approved paid leave in order to accrue annual leave at the end of each pay period. Annual leave is accrued at midnight on the 9th and the 24th of each month. Annual leave is not available to use until it has been earned/accrued at the end of each pay period. Employees are allowed to carry their annual leave balance forward into the new leave year based on their months of state service. Upon leaving state service, employees are paid for unused annual leave up to the maximum allowed based on months of state service.

Refer to the chart for maximum carry-over limits and maximum payout limits:

Years of Service

Hours Accrued per Pay Period

Hours Accrued per Leave Year

Carry-over Limits

Payout Limits

0-5 years

4 hours

96 hours
(12 days)

192 hours
(24 days)

192 hours
(24 days)

5-10 years

5 hours

120 hours
(15 days)

240 hours
(30 days)

240 hours
(30 days)

10-15 years

6 hours

144 hours
(18 days)

288 hours
(36 days)

288 hours
(36 days)

15-20 years

7 hours

168 hours
(21 days)

336 hours
(42 days)

288 hours
(36 days)

20-25 years

8 hours

192 hours
(24 days)

384 hours
(48 days)

336 hours
(42 days)

25 years +

9 hours

216 hours
(27 days)

432 hours
(54 days)

336 hours
(42 days)

When an employee takes leave time that was requested but not approved, the employee will be subject to the following actions:

  • the absence will be designated as unauthorized;
  • the employee will not be paid for the time missed;
  • because the employee has experienced a Time Loss, he or she will not accrue annual or traditional sick leave for the pay period(s) when the absence occurred; and
  • the agency may also take disciplinary action under JMU Policy 1317-Standards of Conduct and Performance for Classified Employees.

When an employee misses work and does not have leave in his/her leave balances to take, the employee will be subject to the following actions:

  • the employee will not be paid for the time missed; and
  • because the employee has experienced a Time Loss, he or she will not accrue annual or traditional sick leave for the pay period(s) when the absence occurred.

Virginia Sickness and Disability Program (VSDP) DHRM Policy 4.57

All full-time, classified employees hired on or after January 1, 1999 are automatically enrolled in VSDP. Under this program, employees are provided sick leave and family/personal leave each January 10. Sick and family/personal leave cannot be carried forward from one leave year to the next.

VSDP Sick Leave: Leave may be taken for personal illnesses, injuries, preventive care and wellness physician visits of the employee. All absences over three workdays or 24 work hours require medical documentation, which should include dates of absence. After a one-year waiting period, VSDP also provides short-term and long-term disability benefits.

Family/Personal Leave: Leave may be taken at the discretion of the employee for any purpose (family, illness, attend a funeral, or other personal needs, etc.) VSDP leave is subject to supervisor's approval.

The following chart reflects the rates for VSDP sick leave and family/personal leave according to months of state service:

VSDP Sick Leave

Current Full-Time

Months of State Service

VSDP Sick Leave Hours/Days

Less than 60

64 (8 workdays)

60 to 119

72 (9 workdays)

120 or more

80 (10 workdays)

Recently Hired Full-Time

Employment Begin Date

VSDP Sick Leave Hours/Days

January 10 - July 9

64 (8 workdays)

July 10 - January 9

40 (5 workdays)

Family/Personal Leave

Current Full-Time

Months of State Service

Family/Personal Hours/Days

Less than 60

32 (4 workdays)

60 to 119

32 (4 workdays)

120 or more

40 (5 workdays)

Recently Hired Full-Time

Employment Begin Date

Family/Personal Hours/Days

January 10 - July 9

32 (4 workdays)

July 10 - January 9

16 (2 workdays)

Traditional Sick Leave (for employees hired prior to January 1, 1999 and are NOT in VSDP) DHRM Policy 4.55

Traditional sick leave protects employees against loss of pay when they must miss work because of illness or injury. Traditional sick leave is earned at the rate of five hours for each semi-monthly pay period, with no maximum accrual limit.

Traditional sick leave may also be used for illness of an immediate family member, which includes mother, father, children, spouse, sister, brother, step-parents, step-children or any other blood relative living within the household. Family sick leave is limited to 48 hours per leave year (January 10 of current year through January 9 of the next year). Up to three days of traditional sick leave may be used for the death of an immediate family member as defined above. Traditional sick leave is subject to supervisor's approval. Supervisors may request medical documentation for any absences related to illness. All absences over three workdays or 24 work hours require medical documentation, which should include dates of absence.

Upon separation with five years of state service, employees are eligible to be paid 25% of accumulated, unused traditional sick leave, up to a maximum of $5,000.

Family and Medical Leave JMU Policy 1308

The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) requires the university to provide eligible employees job-protected leave for the:

  • birth of a child
  • adoption of a child
  • foster care of a child
  • serious health condition of the employee
  • serious health condition of the employee’s immediate family member (child, spouse, or parent)
  • qualifying exigency as defined by the Department of Labor (a call to active duty of a spouse, son, daughter, or parent; or having been notified of an impending call or order to active duty in the Armed Forces in support of a contingency operation; or caregiver leave for a seriously ill or injured service member that is a spouse, son, daughter, parent, or being the nearest blood relative to the injured service member)

To be eligible for job-protected leave, employees must have been employed at least 12 months and worked at least 1,250 hours during the 12-month period prior to the leave request. Eligible employees are entitled to 12 weeks of unpaid leave during any 12-month period for the circumstances stated above.

The 12-week period is calculated starting from the date the employee begins FMLA leave. Eligible employees have the option of using paid leave, as appropriate under each particular leave policy, for absences covered under FMLA. The agency may designate such leave as Family and Medical Leave. If leave is taken under FMLA, the employee has a guaranteed right to return to his/her prior job, or in unusual cases, a job with equivalent status and pay. Health benefits continue during the leave at the same level and conditions as if the employee had continued to work.

If both parents are employed by the university, they are entitled to a total of 12 weeks of leave between them (rather than 12 weeks each) for the birth or placement of a child for adoption or foster care, to care for a sick or injured dependent, exigency military leave or up to 26 weeks for military caregiver leave.

To take FMLA, 30-days advance notice must be given to the supervisor when it is foreseeable for the birth of a child, placement of a child for adoption or foster care, or for planned medical treatment. When it is not possible to provide advance notice, the employee must notify the supervisor as soon as practical.

Intermittent leave that is medically necessary may be taken without the supervisor's approval for each absence. Proper notice should be provided to the supervisor, even though the supervisor's permission to use leave is not required. Supervisors must approve requests for intermittent leave if used for the birth, adoption or foster care placement of a child.

Certification from the family's health care provider must be provided to Human Resources to support FMLA.

For complete information on FMLA, please contact a Benefits Specialist,, 540-568-3593, or refer to JMU Policy 1308.

Civil and Work-Related Leave DHRM Policy 4.05

Civil and work-related leave may be granted to serve on a jury, appear in court as a witness under subpoena, or to attempt resolution of work-related problems. Civil and work-related leave may also be taken when testing and/or interviewing for other state positions. Reasonable travel time may be included. If use of this leave for interviewing becomes excessive, it may be restricted. Supervisor advance approval is required for civil and work-related leave. Written verification may be required. Court documentation is required when serving on a jury or appearing in court as a witness.

Emergency/Disaster Leave JMU Policy 1113

This policy provides a method to grant up to 80 hours of paid leave annually to qualifying employees who are called away from their regular jobs to provide specific kinds of emergency services during defined times of state and/or national disasters. This leave may also be granted to employees who are victims of disasters that meet the criteria specified within the policy.

Educational Leave DHRM Policy 4.15

Educational leave may be provided at the discretion of the university. It is limited to 12 months and may be granted with full, partial, or no pay for the purpose of allowing employees time to further their education through a course of study related to their work or that of the university.

Leave Sharing JMU Policy 1328

Leave sharing allows classified employees to donate annual leave to classified co-workers who do not participate in the Virginia Sickness and Disability Program (VSDP) and who need additional sick leave. All employees, including employees in VSDP, may request donated annual leave if the employee experiences leave without pay due to a family member's illness/injury for which the employee is using Family and Medical Leave (FMLA).

Leave sharing is designed to benefit classified employees with chronic illnesses, serious injuries or qualifying FMLA who have exhausted their other leave options. Employees who are in need of leave donations or who would like to be added to the list of potential leave donors should contact the leave coordinator at 540-568-3974.

Leave without Pay JMU Policy 1319

Employees may be granted leave without pay with the approval of their supervisor. Requests for leave without pay must be presented in writing to the employee's supervisor. Leave without pay may not be granted for more than 12 calendar months, except for extended illness or injury, or for military active duty.

Leave without pay may be granted for:

  • Educational leave (more than the allowable leave with pay)
  • Military leave
  • Medical
  • Personal reasons

Leave without pay may be unconditional or conditional based on the needs of the department as determined by the supervisor. Unconditional leave without pay guarantees reinstatement to one's former position. When reinstatement to one's former position does not appear practical because of the university's need to fill the job, the employee may be placed on conditional leave without pay. Conditional leave allows employees to retain prior sick and annual leave credits, but, if one's position has been filled, does not obligate the university to reinstate the employee. If you are unable to obtain a position at JMU or another state agency, the employee will be separated from state service when the leave without pay expires. There is no leave accrual while an employee is on leave without pay status.

Military Leave DHRM Policy 4.50

Members of a military unit, the National Guard, Naval Militia, or Armed Forces Reserves are entitled to 15 workdays of leave per federal fiscal year (October 1 to September 30) for federally-funded military duty. If the duty is fragmented, the employee is still entitled to 15 workdays of leave per federal fiscal year. A copy of the military orders or other official documentation must accompany the employee's request for military leave. If ordered to duty because of an emergency, the employee must supply supporting documentation upon return to work to verify the use of military leave.

Personal Day

An eight-hour personal day is granted by the university to all classified employees on January 10 of every leave year (or the first day of employment for new hires). It is considered an 8-hour floating holiday. The personal leave day must be used in the full eight-hour increment by January 9 of the leave year or will be lost. Unused hours are not paid out upon separation.

School Assistance and Volunteer Service Leave DHRM Policy 4.40

Employees may take up to 16 hours of paid leave per leave year to provide volunteer services through eligible non-profit organizations or school assistance. Examples of eligible organizations include volunteer rescue squads, volunteer fire departments, the American Red Cross and Habitat for Humanity. For school assistance, employees with children may be granted paid leave to meet with a teacher or administrator of a public or private preschool, elementary school, middle school or high school concerning their children, stepchildren or children for whom the employee has legal custody or attend a school function in which such children are participating. Any employee may be granted paid leave to perform volunteer work approved by any teacher or school administrator to assist a public preschool, elementary, middle, or high school.

Supervisors may request verification for school assistance and volunteer service leave. Documentation consists of a statement signed by an official of the service organization/school confirming times and duration of the activity. This leave does not carry over from one leave year to the next. As with any scheduled leave, prior approval from the employee's supervisor is required.


Health Insurance

The university offers comprehensive health insurance programs to all full-time employees. The cost of health insurance coverage is shared by the employee and the university. The health insurance program provides hospitalization, medical, surgical, out-patient, prescription drug and major medical coverage.

Coverage options are:

  • Single (coverage for employee only)
  • Employee plus one (coverage for employee plus one eligible dependent)
  • Family (coverage for employee plus two or more eligible dependents)

Coverage in a health care plan begins on the first day of the first full month in which employment begins, but enrollment in a health benefit program must be completed within 30 days of employment. Health insurance coverage ends on the last day of the month when separation from the university occurs, provided premiums have been paid.

Changes to coverage may be made yearly during Open Enrollment (typically in May) or during the plan year for certain qualifying life events such as marriage or divorce, death of spouse or dependent, birth or adoption of a child, change in a spouse's employment, change in the dependent status of a child, etc. Qualifying life event changes must be made within 60 days of the event, and become effective the first of the month following the life event date or the receipt of the enrollment form, whichever is later. The exception to this rule is the birth/adoption of a child; coverage becomes effective the month in which the child is born.

Section 125 of the Internal Revenue Code permits employees to have his/her portion of the health insurance premium deducted prior to state and federal taxation. Employees are automatically placed into the pre-tax program.

Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)

Enrollment in a flexible spending account (FSA) allows for deductions prior to state and federal taxation for qualified medical and dependent care expenses. In a medical FSA, employees set aside pre-tax dollars to pay for medical, dental, vision care, or other eligible expenses which are not covered by their health benefits plan. The maximum amount employees may deposit into their medical FSA each plan year is $2,600. The minimum contribution each pay period is $10.

The dependent care FSA allows employees to set aside pre-tax dollars to pay for eligible dependent care expenses. Single employees or employees who are married and file joint returns may deposit a maximum of $5,000 per plan year into the account; married employees who file separate tax returns are limited to $2,500 per plan year. The minimum contribution each pay period is $10.

Once the deduction begins, employees cannot stop their deductions until the open enrollment period or a qualifying life event occurs. Employees should plan carefully when enrolling in either of these accounts, as unused balances at the end of the plan year are forfeited.

Classified employees in the traditional sick leave system and new employees in the Virginia Sickness and Disability Program who are subject to the one-year waiting period may purchase short-term disability through Aflac, upon qualification. Aflac’s Personal Disability Income Protector Benefit provides a source of income while off work for sickness and/or a non-work related accident disability. This benefit will be an after-tax payroll deduction.

Workers’ Compensation/Return-to-Work JMU Policy 1312

Report all job-related injuries and illnesses, no matter how minor, to your supervisor or to a Benefits Specialist,, 540-568-3593 within 24 hours, or as soon as possible. The injury should be reported by completing the online Accident/Incident Report. Employees choose a treating physician from JMU’s Panel of Physicians to receive Workers’ Compensation benefits for approved claims.

In emergency situations, employees may seek treatment at Sentara RMH Emergency Room. A physician from JMU’s Panel of Physicians must still be selected to provide follow-up care.

Time Away From Work due to Workplace Illness/Injury

  • Time missed from work must be ordered by the chosen panel physician in order to be approved under Workers’ Compensation.
  • There is no change to an employee’s regular pay if leave is available.
  • The first seven calendar days are a waiting period and are submitted through the leave system in MyMadison. On the eighth day, Workers’ Compensation will begin to reimburse the university on approved claims.
  • After 21 calendar days, the first seven days of leave will be reimbursed as described by the Virginia Workers’ Compensation Act.

Workers’ Compensation/Restricted Duty

When possible, JMU will provide altered or restricted duty when prescribed by a Panel Physician. Restrictions are evaluated on an individual basis, and revisited periodically to confirm effectiveness.

The Claim Form, Panel of Physicians, FAQ’s and additional information can be found on HR’s Workers' Compensation website.

Employee Assistance Program (EAP)

All health plans offered to state employees and their dependents have employee assistance programs (EAPs). Included are up to four sessions at no charge for such services as mental health, alcohol or drug abuse assessment, child or elder care, grief counseling and legal or financial services. EAP counselors are available to assist employees with problems related to:

  • Alcohol
  • Drugs
  • Family
  • Health
  • Legal
  • Financial
  • Housing
  • Mental health
  • Child care
  • Elder care
  • Grief
  • Spousal/child/parent abuse
  • Workplace
  • Career planning
  • Retirement

In general, care must be authorized in advance. You or your eligible dependent will speak to an EAP Specialist who will assess your problem and coordinate assistance. Should your problem require mental health or substance abuse care, you will be referred to a provider, under your mental health and substance abuse benefit. Your EAP specialist or care manager will arrange a referral according to your specific needs. Contact your plan's Member Services department for more information.


Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield
Member Services: 1-855-223-9277

COVA HealthAware


Kaiser Permanente HMO

1-866-517-7042 (toll free)


Group Life Insurance

Full-time, classified employees are automatically enrolled in a group life insurance policy administered by the Virginia Retirement System (VRS) and underwritten by Minnesota Life Insurance Company. There is no cost to the employee for the basic life insurance coverage; the state and university share the premium cost. The amount of life insurance coverage for natural death is based on the employee's annual salary rounded to the next highest thousand multiplied by two. This amount doubles again for accidental death. The employee designates a beneficiary for life insurance coverage when employment begins. Contact a Benefits Specialist,, 540-568-3593 when a change in beneficiary is desired.


Virginia Retirement System (VRS)

Newly hired, full-time, classified employees, who have no previous VRS service credit, are automatically enrolled in the Virginia Retirement System Hybrid Recruitment Plan. The Hybrid Retirement Plan combines the features of a defined benefit plan, which pays a monthly retirement benefit based on age, total years of service, an average final compensation, and a defined contribution plan, which provides a retirement benefit based on contributions to the plan and the investment performance of those contributions. If an employee separates from the university, he/she may choose to withdraw retirement contributions.


Supplemental Retirement Accounts

Roth 403(b) and Roth 457 Contributions

The university provides employees the opportunity to supplement their retirement income through after-tax supplemental retirement accounts. The compensation that you defer to a Roth 403(b) or Roth 457 is contributed to the plan after state and federal income tax have been withheld. Then, at retirement, when you are eligible to take qualified distributions from your Roth 403(b) or Roth 457 account, the contributions and earnings on those contributions are not subject to federal income tax. Visit the HR website for a list of participating companies. Also, see the FAQs on HR’s website to help you decide whether Roth contributions are the right savings feature for you.

Employer-Paid Cash Match Plan

JMU offers a Cash Match Plan, which can be started any time after employment, to all full-time employees who establish a supplemental retirement account. Employees enrolled in the Virginia Retirement System Hybrid Retirement Plan must be contributing the full 4% voluntary contributions before they are eligible for the Cash Match Plan. The employer match is a half match program with JMU contributing the maximum of $20.00 per pay period. For example, an employee who contributes $40.00 per pay period to his/her supplemental retirement would receive a $20.00 per pay period match. The money contributed to the employee’s supplemental retirement account is either a 403(b) or 457 account, while the match contribution is a 401(a) account. An employee is only eligible for one match account.

Optional Life Insurance

Additional life insurance to supplement the basic life insurance is available to classified employees. Administered by VRS and underwritten by Minnesota Life Insurance Company, the plan allows employees to purchase additional insurance at group rates for themselves, their spouse and children. Rates are based on the employee's age, salary and coverage option for the employee and any covered children. Spousal rates are based on the spouse's age, employee's salary and coverage option.

Aflac Supplemental Insurance

Aflac supplemental policies pay cash benefits directly to the insured. Employees may choose the plan(s) that best suit their needs.

Aflac currently offers five plans on a pre-tax basis through payroll deduction:

  • Accident Plan - provides benefits for any accident
  • Cancer Plan - features a first occurrence benefit, hospital confinement and outpatient benefits
  • Intensive Care Plan - provides coverage for a stay in intensive care for any sickness or accident
  • Hospital Protection Plan - provides payment for any sickness or injury that requires hospital confinement
  • Critical Care Plan - provides coverage for incidents such as heart attacks, strokes and more

Aflac currently offers one plan on an after-tax basis through payroll deduction:

  • Personal Disability Income Protector Short-Term Disability Insurance – provides income replacement for non-work-related disabilities

Contact Michael Glover via email at for additional information.

529 College Savings Plan through FIRM & American Funds

All U.S citizen employees, those full-time and part-time, are eligible for the plan.  With the CollegeAmerica 529 Plan through American Funds, you get some great benefits:

  • Tax-advantaged investing – earnings in a 529 grow free from federal tax.  This can help you accumulate more over the long term.
  • Flexibility – you can use the assets in your account to fund expenses in any U.S. public or private college –undergraduate, graduate, professional or vocational.  Qualified expenses include tuition, fees, room and board, and many more.  Initial contribution is as low as $25 minimum per fund. The amount of these contributions moving forward, are fully adjustable:  you can start, stop, increase, decrease and suspend contributions at any time.
  • Convenience of automatic investing — you can easily invest on a regular basis through payroll deductions.
  • Investing for any beneficiary – you can save for anyone—your children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, friends, etc.  You can even save for yourself.  In addition, there are no age or income limits.
  • No up-front and back-end sale charges – because you would invest in Class 529-E shares offered only through an employer-sponsored plan, you do not incur these sales charges.
  • Portability – you can retain CollegeAmerica and continue investing in 529-E shares even upon termination of employment.

For more information, watch this informational video

Contact Philip Harris via phone 215-557-7622 or email for additional information.

Home and Auto Insurance through MetLife

Employees will be eligible for discounted rates for home and auto insurance through MetLife. Take advantage of payroll deduction for additional savings. Contact Carrie McNamara via phone 804-441-6224 or email for additional information.

Pet Insurance through VPI

Employees will be eligible for a 5% discounted rate for pet insurance, while being able to choose from three different plans. Contact Carrie McNamara via phone 804-441-6224 or email for additional information.

Identity Theft and Legal Protection Plans through LegalShield

All employees, both full-time and part-time, are eligible for the plans.  The family legal plan covers spouses or domestic partners, never-married dependent children under age 26 living at home or who are full-time college students, dependent children under age 18 for whom the member is legal guardian, and physically/mentally disabled children living at home. The family IDShield plan covers spouses or domestic partners and minor children.  You may purchase identity theft or legal plans as a stand-alone benefit, or you may purchase both at a discounted bundled rate. Both legal and IDShield reduced rates are also available for individuals who are not married and have no dependent children. Contact Ken Roebuck via phone 757-334-1294 or email for additional information.

Employee Wellness Program

CommonHealth is the employee wellness program for the Commonwealth of Virginia.

CommonHealth offers:

  • Stress Management Sessions
  • Weight Watchers Reimbursement
  • The Compass Newsletter
  • Fitness Center Discounts
  • Annual wellness events like walking and weight loss challenges
  • A full library of past programs complete with all educational materials
  • An interactive website with health quizzes and wellness tools for you and your family

Please note that eligibility for some programs is dependent upon enrollment in the state health benefits plan. JMU’s agency coordinator is Tara Roe,, 540-568-5533.

JMU’s Work/Life Balance and Wellness Council

“We foster for all faculty and staff a culture and environment that supports healthy work/life balance and personal and professional growth.” 

This is a core quality of the Madison Strategic Plan for faculty and staff success.

A consortium of diverse and passionate individuals from all university divisions and employment classifications formed the university’s Work/Life Balance and Wellness Council in response to the Strategic Plan’s goal, “The university will support and seek to identify tools and resources to assist our employees in achieving a reasonable and satisfactory work/life balance.”

The Council asserts to being dedicated to helping our employees reach a blend of personal satisfaction in four core areas: Work, Family, Community, and Self in pursuit of a meaningful quality life. We will feature university programming and activities related to Mind, Body, Balance, and Relationship.

The Council’s purpose and focus:

  • Support Human Resources in showcasing and promoting work/life and wellness benefits and resources to all employees
  • Advise Human Resources on strategies, practices, programs, policies and benefits that support the core quality of Faculty and Staff Success
  • Recommend strategies and seek opportunities to achieve the goal to identify and implement a comprehensive approach to work/life balance
  • Encourage participation by fellow employees in campus and community work/life balance and wellness programs
  • Share the expertise, opportunities and initiatives available to their division and community related to work/life balance and wellness
  • Assist in the creation of a highly visible and comprehensive communications strategy that will enhance the acceptance and recognition that work/life balance and a culture of wellness is valued at the university
  • Serve as a conduit to foster collaboration and information sharing among various committees and individuals who are currently working on work/life-related proposals

Tara Roe,, 540-568-5533 in Human Resources, is available to answer any questions you may have about the Council and its mission.


Tuition Waiver JMU Policy 1402 and JMU Policy 1405

The university offers a waiver of tuition (undergraduate and graduate) for academic credit courses offered at JMU each semester. Classified employees are eligible to apply for tuition waiver for courses that begin after their six-month anniversary date, as long as they receive a rating of at least “contributor” on their six-month probationary performance evaluation. Books, application fees, special course or departmental fees and readmission fees are not covered. Applicants may have tuition waived for a maximum of two classes and one lab per semester. Also see HR’s Employee Tuition Assistance website.

Questions regarding waiver of tuition may be directed to a Benefits Assistant,, 540-568-3593.

Reimbursement for Work-Related Education or Training from an External Source

JMU Policy 1401

In support of the university's commitment to professional development of faculty and staff, the university may authorize reimbursement to full-time employees for the tuition of work-related education or for the costs of certain work-related training programs taken at other institutions. Departments may also choose to pay for such course work in advance.

This policy is designed to aid full-time employees who are expected to continue employment with the university for a period that will justify such educational assistance.

Talent Development JMU Policy 1403

James Madison University is committed to providing relevant, high quality professional development opportunities for faculty and staff. In support of JMU’s core quality of Faculty & Staff Success – We foster for all faculty and staff a culture and environment that supports healthy work-life balance and personal and professional growth – Talent Development offers a variety of workshops, certificate programs, and departmental retreats.

JMU Talent Development focuses on learning areas which encourage each employee to reach their own potential and help faculty and staff work more effectively with others. Talent Development offers personal and professional development opportunities which are provided free of charge to JMU Administrative & Professional faculty, Professional Librarians, classified staff and wage employees.

Faculty and staff are encouraged to pursue professional development utilizing internal and external resources. Please let the JMU Talent Development staff know how we can assist you in your personal, professional or departmental development needs.

Talent Development specializes in workshops and departmental retreats that focus on:

  • Communication
  • Customer Service
  • Supervision/ Management
  • Administrative Skills
  • Team Building
  • Work/Life Wellness
  • Leadership
  • Facilitation Skills
  • Organizational Development

For more information about our workshops, certificate programs, and our competency model, please visit

Computing Workshops

Information Technology offers a variety of computing workshops for Administrative & Professional faculty, classified and wage employees. These hands-on workshops on JMU supported software are offered in the IT Training Center (JMAC4). You can find a comprehensive listing by visiting the IT Training Course Description website at Sign up for these workshops through MyMadison.

Service Awards

In accordance with the Commonwealth's Employee Recognition Programs DHRM Policy 1.10, the university recognizes length of service for classified staff and faculty through an annual service awards event. Employees who have completed 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, etc. years of service with the university are honored.

JMU Job Opportunities

Classified employees may apply for any posted vacancy at the university. Promotional opportunities are those that involve a competitive selection process resulting in the employee’s movement to a different role in a higher pay band. Lateral opportunities are those that may involve a competitive selection process and result in the employee’s movement to the same or different role in the same pay band. Visit JobLink for a list of vacant positions. Contact a Recruitment Specialist for assistance with the application process.

State Job Postings provides information about current job vacancies with the state system. All state agencies list vacancies with Virginia Jobs for a minimum of five consecutive workdays, not counting Saturdays and Sundays.


Direct Deposit, Deductions and Pay - Classified Staff

As a condition of employment, employees must participate in JMU’s direct deposit program. Pay is automatically deposited into a maximum of four accounts at the financial institution(s) of the employee’s choice. Additionally, employees may view their pay information via MyMadison, JMU’s Employee Self-Service system.

The following items, if applicable, must be deducted from an employee’s pay: Social Security (FICA), federal withholding tax and Virginia state withholding tax. An employee may choose to have other deductions taken out of his/her pay including parking fees, state health insurance premiums, tax-deferred annuities, optional life insurance, flexible reimbursement accounts and administrative fees, voluntary benefits, long-term disability, Combined Virginia Campaign contributions, and contributions to the university.

Pay is issued on the 16th of each month for the pay period of the 25th through the 9th and on the last work day of each month for the pay period of the 10th through the 24th. Should that day fall on a weekend or a holiday, employees will be paid on the previous business day. It is federal law that the name on an employee’s pay advice matches the name on his/her Social Security card. The employee may be subject to a fine if the information is incorrect. Visit Payroll's website for additional payroll information and to view their pay calendar and deadlines.

JMU Identification Card (JACard)

The James Madison University Access Card (JACard) is the employee’s official JMU identification card. Please remember to carry your JACard with you at all times while on campus.

  • Mobile ID has come to JMU - supplement to your JACard for goods and services
  • FLEX declining balance accounts - for purchases while on campus and many off campus locations
  • Employee Meal Plans: 15 or 50 Block plans - payroll deduction available
  • Location: 2nd floor of the Student Success Building
  • Phone: 540-568-6446
  • Hours of Operation: Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m.- 5:00 p.m. (closed for JMU holidays)
  • Web Site with all the details:


Faculty and staff who park on university-owned or leased property are responsible for obtaining and displaying a valid JMU parking permit. For the latest information concerning employee vehicle registration, refer to the Faculty/Staff sections on the Parking Services website, or call 540-568-3300 for assistance.

Bus Service

Harrisonburg Department of Public Transportation (HDPT) provides transportation service within the City of Harrisonburg and on the JMU campus for university students and employees free of charge. For bus routes and schedules visit, or call 540-432-0492. For route planning visit the Bus Finder. For real-time arrival predictions visit NextBus

Visit for transportation and parking information. Information about break shuttle bus services can also be found there.

Campus Dining

All dining facilities are open to students, faculty and staff, as well as the general public. They include all-you-care-to-eat style dining, food courts, coffee bars, smoothie bars, convenience stores and a full-service restaurant. Most locations accept cash, FLEX and credit cards. Faculty/Staff meal plans are also available. Dining locations, map, meal plan information and menus can be found at the Dining with JMU website.

JMU Mail Services

A fully functional post office serving the entire JMU community is located on the second floor of Madison Union, which offers a wide variety of mailing supplies, USPS and UPS shipping services, fax and copy services, on-demand delivery and more. There are several JMU Mail Service drop boxes located throughout the university. Mail Service is able to assist with any size mailing from design to delivery. We are here for all your mailing needs. Any outgoing mail received after 4:00 p.m. will be postmarked the following business day. All outgoing UPS packages are picked up Monday through Friday at 3:00 p.m. Cash, flex and personal checks are accepted. Along with additional information, you can find a complete list of Mail Stop Codes (MSC) on our website. Call 540-568-6257 for further assistance.


The JMU Bookstore is your full-service bookstore. From textbooks to computers, t-shirts to coffee mugs, the JMU Bookstore has everything you need to succeed. Faculty and staff are eligible for 15% discount on their purchases (computer products excluded). Best Sellers are always 30% off. Don't see a book you need? We'll order it. Shop us 24/7 at the We are located in the Godwin parking lot.

Computer Purchase Program

The Madison CyberZone offers complete selections of Dell and Apple computer hardware and a wide selection of accessories to compliment your academic, professional and personal needs. The purpose of this website is to provide JMU faculty, staff and students interested in purchasing computer products sufficient information to make the correct buying decision. We have a dedicated staff ready to answer your questions. Employees may obtain additional computer products information by contacting the Madison CyberZone at the JMU Bookstore at, 540-568-3989, or email

Computer Loan Program

All full-time, non-probationary university employees are eligible to participate in the Computer Loan Program. This is an interest-free loan available to purchase hardware, software, or other computer accessories. All merchandise must be purchased from the University Bookstore. The loan amount cannot exceed the purchase total and the repayment period must be within 24 months.

The JMU Bookstore will consult with the employee on their purchase and when they have made a decision, a formal quote will be written. The quote will be forwarded to the AVP Business Services office and the employee will be instructed to contact that office. At that point, the employee will need to sign their computer loan agreement, which will be forwarded to the bookstore for the order to be placed. If the item is in stock, the purchase can be picked up at that time.

Once the paperwork is completed, the loan agreement will be forwarded to the Payroll Office to begin payroll deductions. Deductions will continue until the balance has been paid. Loans must be paid in full upon an employee’s separation from JMU. If you have any questions about this program, contact the Business Services office at 540-568-5689.

University Recreation (UREC)

JMU has excellent recreational facilities that are available for use by university employees and their family members. UREC aims to promote and advance healthy lifestyles through educational programs, participation opportunities and support services.

UREC is a multi-level fitness and wellness center with 278,515 square feet of activity space. UREC is located on the East side of campus, near the Convocation Center. Building highlights include a 33-foot climbing wall, eight racquetball courts, three multi-activity gyms, two indoor tracks, fitness and cardio theatre, indoor aquatics center, adventure center, demonstration kitchen, locker rooms, wellness suite, equipment center, two outdoor courtyards, and six group exercise studios. UREC also houses equipment centers where sports and camping/outdoor equipment can be checked out or rented. Personal training, fitness/nutrition analysis and massage services are also available for a fee.

University Park, accessed by Devon Lane, includes opportunities for drop-in recreation, structured intramural sports and sport club programs, as well as a team and leadership development program. Facilities include an open event lawn, tennis, sand volleyball and basketball courts, sports turf, and a pavilion.

Contact University Recreation for facility access information, hours of operation, program information, and facility reservations at 540-568-8737, or visit the UREC website.


Information technology is an essential element of employee life at JMU - enabling research, collaboration, and day-to-day job activities. JMU’s Information Technology (IT) department delivers and supports the university network and telecommunications systems, as well as a variety of other systems and services that make your work possible. Descriptions of these services are available on the IT website at A “quick start” is also available at .

Electronic Identity (e-ID)

To access many of JMU’s services and systems, employees use their JMU electronic ID (e-ID). IT creates the e-ID automatically when an individual begins employment. For information on activating your e-ID and accessing email and other technology services, please visit the “New to the University?” section of the computing website. Employees also use their e-ID to access JMU electronic mail and other university systems such as Human Resources, Student Administration, University Advancement, and Finance to perform job-related functions. Other than email and MyMadison (for which access is enabled as part of the employee on-boarding process), access to individual JMU systems is generally granted based on job requirements. Employees should work with their supervisor to determine the access they need and submit requests for any additional access needed.

Network Access

Information Technology operates a high-speed network to provide internal communications and Internet access for the JMU Community. The network provides for both wired and wireless connections. Employees register devices, log on to their office workstations and connect to the university’s wireless network using their e-ID. While some JMU systems/services are available directly from the Internet from anywhere in the world, others require use of JMU’s SSL VPN for off-campus access. Certain JMU systems that require enhanced security also require use of two-factor authentication and/or use of JMU’s Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) for off-campus access. Employees requiring off-campus access to such systems require special authorization approvals. The Project Initiation Request (PIQ) is used to submit these requests. For information about how to use the SSL VPN service or requirements for accessing specific systems remotely, refer to the IT computing website. Employees requiring network file storage should request access through their supervisor.

Electronic Communications

JMU provides each employee with an electronic mail account and considers electronic mail an official means of communication for employees. University policy requires employees to use their university account for all official university business and to check their university email on a frequent basis. Other electronic communications and collaboration services (Skype for Business, SharePoint, WebEx) are also available by using the e-ID.


Employees must use the university’s technology resources (systems, network, etc.) in a manner consistent with the JMU mission and in compliance with state and federal law. Individual employees are responsible for any activities performed using their e-ID and for the privacy and security of any data accessed. Therefore, it is imperative that employees keep their e-ID password completely private and not share it with anyone. JMU will never ask for your password via email.

Employees are required to comply with all university policies. For information on information technology-specific policies, see the 1200 section of the JMU Policy Manual at More specifically, for expectations regarding appropriate use, employees should read the Appropriate Use of Information Technology Resources. JMU Policy 1207


A link to MyMadison, your gateway to JMU employee and student self-service, is located in the Login section of the Faculty/Staff page available from JMU’s main website, After logging in with your e-ID and password, you can access a tutorial that explains the different ways MyMadison can be customized with frequently used links and resources. Depending on your affiliation with the university, you may also see a Student tab, Applicant tab, Advisor or Instructor tab, in addition to the Employee tab.

From the Employee tab, you can access the university’s online pay, leave entry and personal information systems to:

  • view 1500-hour information
  • view pay slip and other compensation
  • complete/change tax forms and direct deposit forms
  • enroll in training
  • view training summary
  • include a nickname
  • change home address
  • update office/campus directory and emergency contact information
  • request university emergency notification on cell phone
  • self-identify disability and/or veteran status
  • maintain a personal record of learning and development achievements

The MyAccounts tab provides:

  • password changes
  • security awareness training – required each 90 days at password change

The MyServices tab provides:

  • Campus Card balances

Employee, student and applicant functions are also available via mobile device. When accessing MyMadison from a mobile device, employees will be provided the mobile view. The full site is available on the main page. Mobile is also available at

Most functions available via the full MyMadison site are available through the mobile version. Exceptions include direct deposit view and setup.

Use of University Owned Telephones & Services JMU Policy 1505

Land Line Phones: Personal local calls during business hours are to be kept to a minimum. Personal long-distance calls are discouraged, but can be made under extenuating circumstances, in which case the caller is required to reimburse the university for the cost of the call. Employees making personal, non-emergency phone calls are to use a personal credit card or bill the call to their home telephone.

Cell Phones: The university will only provide cell phones for shared departmental use. Personal calls from or to a university cell phone are highly discouraged and should only occur for emergency situations.

When the university mission requires an individual employee to be the exclusive user of a cell phone, that employee will be required to obtain the phone and service personally. The employee may be given a stipend to assist with the expense. Specific cell phone procedures are located on the Telecommunications website.

When an employee is required by the university to have internet access from home for work-related duties, the employee will be responsible for obtaining the data service personally. The employee will be given a stipend to assist with the expense.

All university-provided cell phones and telecommunications stipends must be approved by the appropriate senior vice president prior to phone purchase and service contract implementation.


Sustainability is included in the university’s strategic plan, The Madison Plan: 2014-2020, and environmental stewardship is an important part of our culture. You can take pride in the fact that JMU is one of the 361 most environmentally responsible colleges according to The Princeton Review. The university has also received accolades from The League of American Bicyclists as a Bicycle Friendly University (Bronze designation) and earned Governor’s Environmental Excellence Awards.

Clearly, JMU is committed to providing you with a healthy environment in which to work and thrive, and every individual plays an important role in our efforts. There are many opportunities for you to learn, think critically and contribute, including:

For more information, visit the Office of Environmental Stewardship and Sustainability at



Employee Mediation Services JMU Policy 1404

Issues affecting workplace relationships can be addressed through mediation. Mediation is a process that is designed to encourage open conversation and understanding between parties. Participants are encouraged to have open and honest discussion, determine and clarify issues, and cooperatively establish steps towards achieving positive outcomes.

Some examples of common issues for mediation include:

  • Conflict with a supervisor or co-worker
  • Issues surrounding a grievance
  • Communication difficulties

Visit JMU's Employee Mediation Services website to learn more about mediation and conflict resolution techniques.

Office of Employment Dispute Resolution (EDR)

The Office of Employment Dispute Resolution in Richmond, Virginia is another resource for employees concerning work-related problems and provides a number of resolution tools to address workplace conflicts constructively.

State Grievance Procedure

Non-probationary, classified employees have access to the Grievance Procedure to address work-related complaints or disputes. This formal process is administered through the Office of Employment Dispute Resolution in Richmond, Virginia. When informal methods do not lead to a settlement of differences, the formal Grievance procedure may be the next step in conflict resolution.

Some examples of issues which may be grieved include:

  • disciplinary actions including written notices, dismissals, demotions, and suspensions
  • misapplication of policies, procedures, rules, regulations, ordinances, and statutes
  • discrimination as a member of a protected class 
  • retaliation 
  • arbitrary or capricious performance evaluations

Whenever possible, the university encourages employees to discuss concerns with their immediate supervisor, or in certain cases with upper management, to seek solutions to work-related problems. Employees are encouraged to contact their HR Consultant for assistance in workplace dispute resolution, JMU’s Employee Mediation Services, and for assistance with understanding and using the state’s Grievance Procedure. For additional information on the Grievance Procedure visit EDR’s website or contact an EDR consultant at 888-232-3842.

Non-probationary Campus Police Officers may seek an alternative process to EDR’s Grievance Procedure to address complaints within their department. Campus Police Officers may contact their HR Consultant for assistance with either process.

Information regarding online training modules and in person training for Understanding & Using the Grievance Procedure can be found under the Compliance Trainings section of the Human Resources website.

Sexual Misconduct Resources and Title IX

Sexual misconduct that includes sexual and gender-based harassment, sexual assault, and other forms of inter-personal violence, are forms of sex discrimination and therefore are prohibited under Title IX. JMU Policy 1340 sets out the university’s commitment to providing a workplace and environment for all students, employees, affiliates, and visitors free from all forms of sexual discrimination.

Title IX compliance and reporting at JMU is managed by the Title IX Office. Amy Sirocky-Meck serves as the university’s Title IX Coordinator. The Title IX Coordinator and the Title IX Officers can provide guidance to individuals who have experienced harm on resources and support available, legal and/or campus conduct processes, and provide interim measures including, but not limited to, No Contact Orders and temporary changes to work schedule and/or location.

Employees who receive disclosures from students, faculty, or staff regarding incidents of sexual misconduct are obligated to report the disclosures to Title IX. Employees can report information directly to the Title IX Coordinator or Officers via email, an online form, in person, or over the phone. This assures that Title IX can then reach out the party who experienced harm to provide information about resources and support available through the university.

Employees may also report information to their HR Consultant, who will forward the report to the Title IX Coordinator or Officer.

The Title IX office also oversees the university's efforts in understanding campus climate regarding sexual misconduct and provides campus-wide education and training on Title IX. On their website, you can learn more about

As a JMU employee, you are considered a Responsible Employee. Responsible Employees are required to report all disclosures of sexual misconduct to the Title IX Coordinator. Information about your role as a Responsible Employee may be found on the Title IX website:

JMU is committed to providing a working and learning environment that is free from all forms of sex discrimination by addressing Title IX claims and providing resources and support to individuals in the JMU community.


James Madison University strives to provide all employees with a working environment that is free from recognized health or safety hazards. JMU’ s Office of Public Safety strives to improve the quality of life of those we serve by developing partnerships with the university community so that together we can effectively address issues and concerns. Our primary goal is to maintain a secure environment with equal protection under the law and to provide dedicated service for all persons living, working, and visiting with the university.

The Safety Coordinator, through the Office of Public Safety Risk Management, conducts safety surveys and inspections, investigates fires and hazardous materials spills, and provides awareness training in all aspects of environmental and workplace safety and health. The office works closely with the Harrisonburg Fire Department, the Virginia State Fire Marshal's office, the state's Offices of Risk Management, Waste Management, and Occupational Safety and Health, along with safety equipment service contractors.

The Transportation Demand Manager, through the Office of Public Safety Transportation Demand Management, collects traffic-count data on major roads in and around the JMU campus, makes recommendations concerning safety improvements involving signage, traffic flows, and lane markings, facilitates University orientation and educational programs and coordinates with other University departments to implement alternative transportation modes such as bicycling and alternative fuel vehicles.

The James Madison University Police Department has received accreditation from the Virginia Law Enforcement Professional Standards Commission after an in-depth review of every aspect of the agency’s organization, management, operations, and administration to assure the highest standards are practiced and has received reaccreditation. The JMU Police have the authority to enforce all regulations and laws, both of the University and of the Commonwealth of Virginia, along with federal statutes within their jurisdiction which includes a core campus of 785 acres and 138 buildings which includes all university-owned, -leased or -controlled property, and the adjacent streets and sidewalks. The JMU Police Department has entered into a Memorandum of Understanding with the Harrisonburg Police Department which allows duly sworn, on-duty officers employed by the James Madison University Police Department jurisdiction to enforce city ordinances along with laws within the city limits of Harrisonburg. Four patrol officers and a sergeant are also members of the Harrisonburg/JMU Joint Patrol Task Force which augment the Harrisonburg Police Department in the surrounding off-campus student housing areas adjacent to campus.

JMU police officers are graduates of state-affiliated regional criminal justice training academies and are required to complete 40 hours of in-service training biennially. All are certified by the State Department of Criminal Justice Services as police officers and are trained in all phases of law enforcement, including the use of firearms. Officers carry standard issue or approved firearms at all times and must maintain firearms proficiency through semiannual classroom training, qualification and certification at the firing range.

The JMU Police Department utilizes Automated External Defibrillators (AEDs) in the field. All sworn personnel within the department have been trained on the proper use of AEDs and basic life-support techniques (cardio-pulmonary resuscitation - CPR).

JMU police officers patrol the campus 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Upon notification of a criminal activity, emergency, or request for assistance, the James Madison University Police Department has the responsibility of responding to, and summoning the necessary resources to assist, mitigate, investigate, and document the incident. The call will initiate a response from the JMU Police Department, immediate or otherwise, as dictated by the nature of the incident. The responding officer will assess the reported incident and will arrange for necessary resources to include, but not be limited to, crime investigation, victim services, medical services or the utilization of other available resources. Criminal actions will be thoroughly documented in an appropriate report. Investigators handle reported cases that require in-depth follow-up.

All crimes or emergencies that occur on the campus of JMU should be reported to the JMU Police through the communications unit for response and documentation. This can be done in person at Anthony-Seeger Hall or by telephone. The on-campus emergency number, 540/568-6911, directly connects to the JMU Police Department and should be used when fire, police or medical response is required. It should be noted that when using a mobile telephone to call university police, callers should dial 540-568-6911, as dialing 9-1-1 directly may route them to another agency. If you should be routed to another agency, you need to advise them of your specific location at James Madison University, so that they may relay this information to the JMU Police Department communications center. The police department also utilizes another emergency number 540-442-6911 that can be accessed if the JMU telephone network becomes disabled. For information, escort services and other non-emergencies, students and employees should dial 540-568-6913. Emergency telephones are located across campus to include parking lots and other remote areas. These telephones are housed in highly visible yellow call boxes and feature one-button speed dialing for instant communication with the JMU Police with the location of the activated telephone automatically identified to the police communications staff. The JMU Police Communications Center can also be reached directly using the LiveSafe App. Information on the LiveSafe App can be found at . It can be downloaded onto a smart phone and allows users to share information, tips, and safety concerns with police via text messaging, including picture, video, and audio attachments, or even through live chat. Stay anonymous anytime, or send your caller ID and location to police immediately when you call or message for help, allowing faster response times.

If you feel that a crime has been committed against you, you have witnessed a crime in progress, or that you have information about a crime that has occurred, please contact the JMU Police Department. All members of the JMU community are instructed to notify the JMU police of any situation or incident on or near campus that involves a significant emergency or dangerous situation that may pose an immediate or on-going threat to the health and safety of students, staff and visitors to the campus.

The Office of Public Safety website located at   provides information on crime prevention, emergency notification procedures, and emergencies such as hostile intruders and suspicious packages and provides links to other resources.

The JMU Police Department is responsible for compiling the Annual Security and Fire Safety Report. The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report includes statistics for the most recent three-year period of reported crimes, including “hate” motivated crimes that occurred on campus, in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by JMU or its affiliates, and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from the campus. This report also includes information regarding the law enforcement authority of the university police; means of immediate notification of students and staff upon confirmation of a significant emergency on campus; protocols for students missing more than 24 hours, including voluntary student contact information in cases where the student is missing along with missing person investigation procedures; policies concerning campus security, information on crime prevention, alcohol and drug use, sexual assault, the state sex offender registry and the reporting of any crimes that may occur on the campus. The report also includes campus housing fire statistics for the most recent three-year period; a description of each on-campus student housing facility fire safety system; the number of fire drills held during the previous calendar year; policies or rules on portable electrical appliances, smoking, and open flames in student housing; procedures for student housing evacuation in the event of fire; policies regarding fire safety education and training programs provided to the students, faculty, and staff; procedures that students and employees should follow in the case of a fire; a list of the titles of each person or organization to which students and employees should report that a fire occurred; and plans deemed necessary for future improvements in fire safety.

A copy of the JMU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report for the Harrisonburg campus also includes the three overseas branch campuses; Florence, Antwerp, and London. It is available upon request. You can obtain a copy by contacting the Office of Public Safety, MSC 6810, James Madison University, Harrisonburg, VA 22807 or request that a copy be mailed to you by calling 540-568-6769 or 540-568-6913. This information is also available electronically by clicking on the “Your Right to Know” link 

Although JMU works hard to ensure the safety of all individuals within its community, each individual must also take responsibility for their own personal safety and that of their personal belongings. Our goal is a campus community that is informed, aware, and alert; all sharing the responsibility of making the JMU campus a safe place to study, work and live. 

Thank you and stay safe!


We want you to be connected and informed:

  • HR’s website is filled with information for your employment satisfaction
  • You will receive emails with a link to view your monthly HR Update, an employee-centered, electronic newsletter
  • Join the conversation on Twitter @JMUJobs
  • Follow us on Facebook
  • If you are an administrative assistant or administrator, send a request to to join the HR Alerts for Admins ListServ to receive timely announcements and need to know information
  • New employees are automatically added to the New Employee ListServ; one of many ways Human Resources provides you with JMU community information beyond what you may have already learned and experienced through HR’s Dukes at Work onboarding program

Wondering who to call with specific questions? See Services We Provide for a list of HR services provided and the primary contact person for that service.


Visit the University Policy Committee's website to research policies that have a broad impact on the university's people and processes. Find out about smoking regulations, weapons, animals, and drones on campus, university bulletin boards, what to do with found items, or how to claim lost items. 

The UPC ListServ is a great way to stay informed on new and revised policies. An opt-in feature allowing you to join the ListServ is available on the Home and Ask Questions pages at

As a result of subscribing to the ListServ, employees receive notices when:

  • Policies are updated
  • Policies are posted for public review
  • The semi-annual policy change notification report has been posted on the site



See Separating Full-Time Employment for important steps to be taken before an employee leaves the university.


Contact Cathy Thomas, JMU Human Resources, Communication, Policy & Compliance,, 540-568-3967.

Back to Top