History Day Online Registration Instructions (Teachers)
This year we are using the online registration provided to us by National History Day (you may continue to register by mail if you so choose). Here is the printable registration page. If you already have a user name and password in the system, you can use it to register for this year’s regional competition. If you do not already have a user name and password, you will be asked to create one.
Step 1: Accessing the Login Page
- Visit the History Day page for Virginia: http://va.nhd.org/
- Select “Online Registration” from the menu on the left hand side of the page.
- Select “District 4 2015” from the list of contests.
- At the bottom of the page, select “Educator with Competing Students” from the drop down box and click “Go.”
You are now on the Login page. If you already have an account, proceed to Step 3. If you have forgotten your account, select “Forgot your login information?” and it will be emailed to you.
Step 2: Registration
- On the Login page, select “Don't have a username and password? Click here to begin.” (Located above the User Name and Password text entry boxes)
Enter your name, a physical address, and email address. This is where your username/password will be sent if you lose it.
- Enter number of students participating, how many years you have participated in History Day and whether you will be attending this year’s contest.
- Enter the last four digits of your phone number (or any four digit code). You will need this information to retrieve a lost username/password.
- Create a username and a password.
An email will be sent to you confirming your registration. This email will include your username/password; save it for your records.
Once you have registered and logged in, you are on your homepage.
Step 3: Setting up your Contest
- At “Your School(s) or School District(s)”, select “Add a School.”
- If your school is not in the system: Select “Add Your School to the database.” Enter your school’s information and “Save.” You will be returned to the home screen.
- To add a co-teacher to your account, select “Add A Teacher” and complete the required information. This will give your co-teacher access to your contest and allow them to make changes.
- At the bottom of the page, select “Permission to Participate.” Select “Yes” or “No” from the drop down menus and select “Save.”
Important: At any time, you can log out by selecting “Finished for Now? Save and Logout” at the bottom of your homepage. Be sure to save and logout to ensure your work is not lost.
You can now begin to register students and projects. As of now, all projects must first be entered by a teacher. Once entered, entries can be edited by the students involved.
Step 4: Registering Students
- On your homepage, under “Your student(s),” select “Add A Student.”
- At “Quick Add Student,” enter all the students from your class participating in History Day, one at a time.
- Select their school from the drop down box, enter their name, state and last four digits of their phone number (or any four digit code). These digits are required for the students to access the webpage.
- Once you have entered one student, select “Save & Add Another.”
- When you have added all your students, select “Save,” and you will be returned to your homepage.
- You may delete students from the system by clicking “delete” next to the student’s name.
Step 5: Registering Student Projects
- On your homepage, under “Student Entries,” select “Add A New Entry.”
- On this page you will enter all the information for the student’s project.
- From the drop down boxes, select the school, Division (Junior or Senior), and Category.
- For projects in the website category, enter the Weebly.com ID and the student’s Weebly.com username/password. The Weebly.com ID is the section between http:// and nhd.weebly.com.
- Enter the title of the student’s project and select any resources the student may need from the options. Consult the NHD Rule Book for all project requirements: http://www.nhd.org/rules.htm
- At the bottom of the page, select the student(s) participating in the entry from the drop down menu(s).
- You may “Save & Add Another.”
- Once all entries have been entered, select “Save,” and you will be returned to your homepage.
All the projects will be listed by title under “Student Entries” on your homepage. You may edit these entries by selecting the title or delete the entry by selecting “delete.”
Once all your projects have been entered into the system, there is no need to submit. At any time, the District 4 contest manager can download a list of the registered entries. You may, however, select “Email Me A Confirmation of My Registration” and an email will be sent listing all your entries in the system. On March 19 (after the deadline of March 16) we will download the list of the final entries for our records. If you need to add or edit entries after the March 16 deadline, please email the contest director.
The fee for participating in District 4 History Day is $3 per student. You may mail this to us in advance or pay when you check in on the day of the contest. If you mail your payment, make checks payable to “James Madison University,” and mail to:
James Madison University History Day
58 Bluestone Dr, MSC 2001
Harrisonburg, VA 22807
Reminder: All papers must be submitted to this address by March 19. Please email paper submissions to email@example.com or mail them to 734 South High Street, Harrisonburg, VA 22801 or 58 Bluestone Drive MSC 2001 Harrisonburg 22807.
If you have any questions about History Day or issues with the website, please contact Dr. Rebecca Brannon (firstname.lastname@example.org).