If you have taken graduate level courses prior to entering a JMU graduate program, you can request to have those credits applied towards your JMU degree. To do this you must submit a request to your major advisor during the first semester of enrollment
. The request form for transfer credit can be obtained from The Graduate School web page: http://www.jmu.edu/grad/current/forms.shtml
Transfer of Credit Policy:
- Transfer requests must also be completed for courses taken at JMU (through Outreach Programs)
- No more than 1/2 of a graduate program's total required hours may be transferred including those taken at JMU prior to acceptance into the graduate program.
- Students may not transfer in more than 9 credit hours from institutions other than JMU.
- Only grades of "B" or better are transferable.
- Courses taken for pass/fail or satisfactory/unsatisfactory are not transferable.
- Academic work taken more than six (6) years for master students or eight (8) years for doctoral students, before the date at which the advanced degree is awarded may not be used to satisfy degree requirements.
For more information see the Approval of Transfer Credit