A-to-Z Index

Student Life

University Services and Resources

University Health Center (UHC)
The University Health Center (UHC) will provide primary care for full-time graduate students or part-time graduate assistants. The UHC operates on an appointment-only basis and you must bring your JAC card and have a Health Form on file to be seen. Some health services require additional fees that will need to be paid for at the time of service. UHC does not bill insurance companies. For more information visit the health center web site at www.jmu.edu/healthctr/

University Recreation Center (UREC)
Full-time graduate students are admitted to the University Recreation Center at no charge, part-time graduate students are admitted for a prorated fee. UREC is located near the Convocation Center off of University Drive. The facility has a swimming pool, an indoor track, weight rooms, cardio exercise equipment, basketball courts, racquetball courts, and aerobics studios. They offer intramural sports opportunities, group fitness classes, and outdoor adventure trips. For more information, visit their web site or visit UREC's welcome center and ask for a tour.

Career and Academic Planning (CAP)
Graduate students are encouraged to take advantages of the resources CAP provides for resume writing, job searching, career development, and applying to graduate programs. Their web site has many helpful links. They are located in Wilson Hall 301. Stop by between 8-5 on weekdays to see how CAP can help you succeed.

Counseling and Student Development Center (CSDC)
Graduate students are eligible to receive counseling services from the the CSDC at no charge. The CSDC also provides mental-health related resources and education programs. Visit their web site to find out more.

University Writing Resource Center (UWRC)
The Writing Center staff can help graduate students with their academic or professional related writing. This includes help with structuring, revising, and editing. The Center is located in Wilson Hall 413. Call 540-568-6967 for more information.

Women's Resource Center (WRC)

The Women's Resource Center sponsors programs and events to support and raise awareness for women's issues. The WRC encourages all women and men to participate in the various activities planned throughout the year.

Office of Disability Services (ODS)
JMU strives to accommodate individuals with disabilities. Please contact them if you are in need of special services or accommodations. You can also request an evaluation through this office.

Student Handbook
If you are new to JMU, you should consider perusing the JMU student Handbook. Although this document was created with undergraduate students in mind, it contains the University Honor Code as well as other important university policies that may be of interest to you as a new student.

Your Right To Know - Public Safety
JMU campus police publish annual crime reports available for review by JMU community. They can be accessed on the public safety web site.

Grafton-Stovall Theater
The University Programming Board shows weekly movies in Grafton-Stovall. Usually there are two different movies showing at various times during the week. Admission is $2.50 with JAC card. No book bags are allowed in the theater.