English Language Training
The IEP-JMU Collaboration
IEP: Intensive English Program - providing you with efficient, academically oriented language instruction on a small friendly campus with a big global outlook
EMU: Eastern Mennonite University - our good neighbor, providing you with world-class preparation for your career.
Collaboration: working together, especially in a joint intellectual effort
What is the IEP-JMU collaboration?
Students who are conditionally admitted to JMU's graduate degree programs may fulfill their English language requirements by enrolling in EMU's IEP.
- The IEP provides 20 hours of classes per week to develop students' academic language skills in the areas of listening, speaking, reading, and writing. Students are evaluated at the end of each session and may move on to their JMU degree program when the IEP staff recommends it. The recommendation to continue in IEP or move on to JMU depends on the student's performance in IEP classes and on IEP placement tests. No TOEFL is required.
- Students typically complete the IEP in 4 to 16 months depending on their English proficiency at the time of entry. If students feel they are able to exit the program earlier, they are welcome to take a TOEFL exam and submit the official score to JMU.
- GRE/GMAT scores are waived until the student completes the IEP program.
How can you join this collaboration?
- Apply to The Graduate School at James Madison University.
- Send an email to The Graduate School (email@example.com) to inform of your intention to participate in EMU's IEP program.
- Receive a letter of admission from JMU. This letter will state that you need to complete the IEP program or submit sufficient TOEFL scores.
- Apply to EMU's IEP program.
- Read and sign Eastern Mennonite University's Community Lifestyle Commitment .
- Receive a letter of admission from EMU. Included in this letter will be an I-20 form for obtaining your student visa from the US Embassy or Consulate nearest you.
- Complete the IEP program and receive English competency level.
- Send a certificate of completion to JMU at the end of EMU's IEP program.
- Receive your student visa from the Office of International Programs at JMU.
- Register for classes at JMU.
- Submit official GRE/GMAT scores within the timeframe given in your admission letter from JMU.