A-to-Z Index

Frequently Asked Questions


Q1.1 How can I apply to one of JMU's graduate programs?

A. You can apply online at http://www.jmu.edu/grad/prospective/ and click on "Apply Online Now!"


Q1.2 How do I get a Graduate Catalog?

A. You may view an electronic copy of the catalog at http://www.jmu.edu/catalog.  The graduate catalog is only available online.


Q1.3 What is the deadline for the application for a particular semester?

A. Please refer to the specific program on the Degree Programs page for admissions deadlines.


Q1.4 What are the TOEFL, GRE, MAT, and GMAT requirements?

A. TOEFL or IELTS scores are required of all international students whose first language is not English. See the admission requirements for the department in question for a list of approved tests at http://www.jmu.edu/grad/prospective/degree_programs.shtml.


Q1.5 What are the TOEFL, GRE, GMAT, and MAT test dates?

A. Test dates vary from year to year. They may be found in the information bulletins that are published yearly. Copies of the current bulletin may be obtained from The Graduate School in Grace Street House. Applications for these tests can be obtained through this office, your local college or university or by contacting the Educational Testing Service at (800) 473-2255 for the GRE or (800) 462-8669 for the GMAT. You can also obtain information about these tests on-line at http://www.ets.org/gre http://www.mba.com/mba/thegmat/. Information about the MAT can be obtained from the Psychological Corporation at (800) 622-3231. Information on the TOEFL can be found online at http://www.ets.org/toefl.


Q1.6 Are GRE preparation classes given at James Madison University?

A. Yes. Schedules for these classes are available at http://www.jmu.edu/outreach/Jmutestprep_GRE.shtml.


Q1.7 Are GRE's given at James Madison University?

A. Not at this time.  


Q1.8 I took the GRE's three years ago; are they still good or do I need to retake them?

A. GRE/GMAT/MAT/TOEFL scores are good for five years. After 5 years students are required to retake the test. 


Q1.9 Why are official scores required? Won't you review with a copy?  

A. Unfortunately there have been instances of students submitting fraudulent test scores. Requiring an original increases our certainty that the test score submitted is accurate.


Q1.10 How do I get additional information about departments when applying?  

A. Departmental phone numbers are contained in the Graduate catalog at the beginning of each departmental description. There is also College and Department information on JMU’s Graduate School website at http://www.jmu.edu/grad/prospective/degree_programs.shtml


Q1.11 How do I know what is missing in my application?

A. Log into the Applicant Center within MyMadison, on the right hand side you will see a “To Do List” which will list any missing admissions requirements. From there you will be able to click on details for more information.


Q1.12 How long does it take to process an application?

A. Your application will not be sent to the department until all required materials have been received. You are responsible to log into MyMadison to view your missing items and complete your application in a timely manner. If your application is not complete by the start of the semester you requested or your program's deadline your file will be closed.


Q1.13 Why can't you tell me if I've been accepted?  

A. Your application may still be under review by the program to which you've applied; we cannot give you information until a decision has been made by the program. To view your application status always log into MyMadison first.


Q1.14 I called the program to which I've applied and they don't have my file, why not?  

A. Your application file will not be sent to the department until all required materials have been received.


Q1.15 Why was I denied admission?

A. The most accurate answer to this question should be obtained from the program to which you have applied. The most common reasons for denial are poor undergraduate academic performance and low test scores (GRE,GMAT,MAT,TOEFL). Other major reasons include a poor fit between the student's career goals and the graduate program or lack of space in the program for additional students.


Q1.16 How can I find out the status of my application?

A. You can view your status, accept or decline offers of admission, or see your To Do items in the Applicant Center in MyMadison at https://mymadison.jmu.edu. 


Q1.17 I'm scheduled to take my GRE/GMAT/TOEFL and I need to know what the institutional code is for the graduate school at JMU?

A. The code is 5392


Q1.18 I had my scores and transcripts sent to you. How do I find out if you have received them, or what my scores are?

 A. We can only tell the person whether or not the scores have been received. According to the rights of privacy specified by the Dulaney Amendment, we cannot divulge the scores over the phone, because we cannot verify the identity of the caller.


Q1.19 I'm going to be out of the country for a while, can my parents call your office to see if I have been accepted? Can they check the status of my application?

 A. Because of confidentiality we will only tell the student the status of his or her application. We will not divulge the acceptance or non-acceptance of an applicant to anyone over the phone because we cannot verify the identity of the caller.


Q1.20 Where do I send my letters of recommendation, my personal statement and my application fee?

A. You would send official test scores, and official transcripts from all colleges or universities attended to The Graduate School. Supplemental materials, including letters of recommendation, personal statements and other program-specific materials, are submitted online with the application and application fee.


Q1.21 I'm in my senior year as an undergraduate at JMU and have just been accepted into JMU's graduate program. How many graduate level credit hours can I take as a graduate student?

A. If you have been accepted into a graduate program (while still an undergraduate) and are ready to enroll in courses the following semester to begin your graduate career, you will register under your Graduate academic career on e-campus for the graduate courses that you want to apply to your graduate coursework. If you have any remaining undergraduate courses for which to register, register for them under your Undergraduate academic career. If there are graduate-level courses that you are interested in taking as part of your undergraduate transcript (you must have at least 120 credit hours), register for those classes under your Undergraduate academic career (you may need permission to register for them). Graduate coursework counted toward undergraduate degree requirements may not be counted toward a graduate degree. 

Tuition and Fees


Q2.1 How many credit hours are considered full time/part time?

A. Full time is 9 or more credit hours per semester and part time is anything less than 9.


Q2.2 How many hours do I register for over the summer?

A. That should be worked out between the student and his/her program advisor. Continuous enrollment is not required during summer sessions unless degree requirements are being met during the summer term.


Q2.3 How much is tuition?

A. The Office of Student Financial Services lists current tuition rates on their website. http://www.jmu.edu/ubo/rates/


Assistantships and Financial Aid


Q3.1 How can I find out about getting an assistantship?  


A. Most Teaching and Graduate Assistantships are awarded by the departments although some administrative offices also have a few GA positions. A list of hiring departments can be found on the Graduate School website at http://www.jmu.edu/grad/current_students/assistantships.shtml. Select "Assistantship Departments

Your graduate program may have assistantship positions that you may be eligible to fill. Your first step to acquire an assistantship should be to contact your own graduate program to inform them of your interest in an assistantship. To apply for an assistantship:


  • click on "login as applicant"
  • click on "search job openings"
  • under position type drop down menu, click on "graduate assistantship"
  • click on "search"
  • select position you are interested in and complete and submit application.

Q3.2 How long can I have an assistantship?

A. Students will be allowed to receive an assistantship for a maximum of four academic semesters (fall and spring) or two academic years. This is intended to encourage students to complete their programs in a timely manner and free resources for incoming students. Summer assistantships (generally grant-funded), and doctoral assistantships are not included in this restriction. Some exceptions are made due to the length of the specific program.

Q3.3 How can I find out about more financial aid possibilities?

A. The number for the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships is 540/568-7820, or visit  their website at http://www.jmu.edu/finaid/