A-to-Z Index

Student Life

Naturally, academics will be the focus of your graduate career at JMU. However there is much more to student life than the classroom. We want our graduate students to lead balanced and engaged lives in and out of the classroom. Listed here are numerous resources, organizations, and activities to help you be successful here, and after JMU.



JMU does not have on-campus housing for graduate students. Most graduate students find off campus apartments. A good place to start looking is the JMU Office of Off-Campus Living (OCL). If you have trouble finding a place, contact the OCL. They know of apartments that are rented primarily to graduate students. They also maintain a directory that includes the property location, contact information, and other pertinent information.
by AIM (instant messenger) – AskOCL

Occasionally, individuals contact The Graduate School to offer housing opportunities for graduate students.  The Graduate School does not endorse any property or rental agency, nor provide warranty on the condition of the property.
Find out more about Grad housing

Downtown Harrisonburg also offers many apartment living options. Harrisonburg Downtown Renaissance keeps a webpage of downtown apartment complexes, all of which are more appropriate for a more mature student.


University Services and Resources

Alternate Break Program 
Wilson 204, 10am-4pm 
Phone: 540-568-6366  
Career and Academic Planning (CAP)
Graduate students are encouraged to take advantage of the resources CAP provides for resume writing, job searching, and career development. Their web site has many helpful links. They are located in Wilson Hall 301. Stop by from 8am-5pm on weekdays to see how CAP can help you succeed.

Counseling and Student Development Center (CSDC)
Graduate students are eligible to receive counseling services from the CSDC at no charge. The CSDC also provides mental-health related resources and education programs. Visit their web site to find out more.
Office of Disability Services (ODS)
JMU strives to accommodate individuals with disabilities. Please contact them if you are in need of special services or accommodations. You can also request an evaluation through this office.
JMU Learning Centers

  • Communication Center
    The Communication Center provides resources and assistance with oral communication projects to the JMU community.  The CC promotes students' communication excellence in the areas of speech preparation and presentation, small group problem solving and interpersonal skills.  Specifically, the Center's student speech consultants provide help with Speech Preparation, Speech Anxiety, Speech Delivery, Speech Outlining, Communication Theory, and PowerPoint Application.
  • English Language Learner Services (ELL)
    English Language Learner Services creates learning opportunities for all students that foster personal transformation and academic achievement by helping multilingual learners refine their academic English.
  • University Writing Center
    The Writing Center staff can help graduate students with their academic or professional writing. This includes help with structuring, revising, and editing. The Center is located in Wilson Hall, Room 413. Call 540-568-6967 for more information.

The Library
The University Library may become your favorite hangout.  The library offers a Guide to Library Resources just for Graduate Students.
Graduate Student Guide to Library Resources (online interactive / pdf)

Office of Student Activities and Involvement (OSAI)
The JMU Office of Student Activities and Involvement (OSAI) maintains a complete directory of all official clubs and student organizations.

Public Safety – Your Right to Know
JMU campus police publish annual crime reports available for review by JMU community. They can be accessed on the public safety web site.

Student Handbook
If you are new to JMU, you should consider perusing the JMU Student Handbook. Although this    document was created with undergraduate students in mind, it contains the University Honor Code as well as other important university policies that may be of interest to you as a new graduate student.

University Health Center (UHC)
The University Health Center (UHC) will provide primary care for full-time graduate students or part-time graduate assistants. The UHC operates on an appointment-only basis and you must bring your JAC card and have a Health Form on file to be seen. Some health services require additional fees that will need to be paid for at the time of service. UHC does not bill insurance companies.

University Program BoardGrafton-Stovall Theater
The University Program Board shows weekly movies in Grafton-Stovall. Usually there are two different movies showing at various times during the week. Admission is $2.50 with JAC card. No book bags are allowed in the theater.

University Recreation Center (UREC)
Full-time graduate students are admitted to the University Recreation Center at no charge; part-time graduate students are admitted for a prorated fee. UREC is located near the Convocation Center off of University Drive. The facility has a swimming pool, an indoor track, weight rooms, cardio exercise equipment, basketball courts, racquetball courts, and aerobics studios. They offer intramural sports opportunities, group fitness classes, and outdoor adventure trips. For more information, visit their web site or visit UREC's welcome center and ask for a tour.

Women's Resource Center (WRC)

The Women's Resource Center sponsors programs and events to support and raise awareness for women's issues. The WRC encourages all women and men to participate in the various activities planned throughout the year.