- Give Home
- Make Your Gift Now
- Search Funds
- Where to Give
- Why Give
- Other Opportunities
- Donor Recognition
- Contact Us
Engineering Student Projects
Hands-on student projects are the lifeblood of JMU’s innovative engineering program.
That’s because it takes engineers who are engaged with the world to innovate solutions to critical human problems and do it with a fundamental understanding of the environment in which those solutions must be implemented.
Your gift to engineering will provide the financial resources for student projects that begin in a student’s first freshman engineering course and continue every semester through a student’s senior year.
The benefits go beyond real-world implications. Engineering student projects like these also have real-time impact:
- designing software to assist decision-makers in weighing the pros and cons of a controversial natural gas drilling process;
- designing a testing system to aid in hearing research;
- developing a firefighting robot;
- designing and building a device that creates DNA samples for biology research and employ ink-jet printing technology to "print" the samples on glass slides similar to microscope slides.
Your gift to fund hands-on projects enables engineering students to fully consider the environmental, energy, financial, security and social impacts when they analyze problems and design solutions.
JMU engineers graduate with an integrated perspective focused on sustainability, design, and systems analysis to
- analyze and solve real-world human problems
- model, simulate and test complex interdependent socio-technical systems
- integrate business, social, and ethical aspects into engineering solutions
- work effectively in interdisciplinary teams and international environments
- manage engineering projects in a timely and cost-effective manner
- communicate solutions effectively to diverse audiences
- strive toward lifelong learning and creative critical thinking
Together, by combining our talents and vision in the Department of Engineering, we can produce the 21st-century versatile engineering with the practical ingenuity to improve the sustainability of Virginia and the world.
That’s how the national model of the Engaged University operates. Your gift makes it possible.