A-to-Z Index

Students Planning to Transfer to JMU from a Virginia Community College (VCCS) or Richard Bland College (RBC)

JMU's general education program is composed of five areas of study called clusters. Each cluster provides both depth and breadth in the exploration of an area of human knowledge. In each cluster, students must complete one course in each group.  This requirement is true in all cases but Cluster Three – Track II.  This science track is designed for students who are considering pre-k through middle school teacher certification (contact the General Education Cluster Coordinators for questions).

JMU's general education program is an interdisciplinary program based on cluster learning objectives. There are few direct course equivalents in Virginia's community college system. Because of JMU's strong commitment to providing the opportunity for students to transfer from Virginia community colleges, the university has worked to designate reasonable equivalents (see course equivalents).

Virginia Community College System / JMU Course Equivalents

Richard Bland College /JMU Course Equivalents

See a list of courses that transfer from the VCCS or Richard Bland College and the equivalent JMU course.

JMU requires a minimum of 120 credit hours for graduation. If you are offered admission to JMU, you must complete all prerequisite, major, program and degree requirements to graduate and you must meet the following requirements:

  1. Must earn at least 60 credit hours in a four-year institution
  2. Must earn at least 30 credit hours from JMU
  3. Must meet course prerequisites for the major regardless of where general education requirements were completed
  4. Must attend JMU during the semester in which degree requirements are completed

The student is responsible for having an official transcript mailed to the registrar's office when the work has been completed. Credit hours will be awarded for approved courses carrying a "C" or better grade (2.0 quality points). Grades for courses taken at another institution are not included in grade point average calculations although they will be used in determining graduation honors for eligible students.