Online GWRTC 103 Waiver Exam
Part I: Mechanics and Usage
You may take the online Part I: Mechanics and Usage (MANDU) exam if you satisfy the following:
- You are an entering first year student with a score of 680 or higher on the SAT I who will not receive credit for GWRTC 103 through dual enrollment, transfer credit or your scores on an AP or IB test.
- Or, you are an incoming transfer student who will not receive credit for GWRTC 103 through AP, IB, dual enrollment, or transfer credit.
- You are able to produce writing that is virtually error free, that demonstrates a logical reasoning process, and that incorporates and documents research.
- You are confident in your ability to write at a college level.
Please read all the instructions before taking the GWRTC 103 Waiver Exam.
- It is likely that you will need to configure Internet Explorer to permit pop-ups. Instructions for accessing and/or troubleshooting this online exam can be found at www.jmu.edu/gened/adaptex_info.shtml
- When you sign onto the Part I: Mechanics and Usage Exam, you will need to provide the information given in the screen captured below. Remember, you will NOT use your JMU password to login to Part I. You will need:
- Your First Name
- Your Last Name
- Your Student ID Number
- Select Institution Code: MU-1
- Select Test Name: Mechanics and Usage
- Password: writing103
- Click “SUBMIT” to start Part I. If you have difficulty with this process, please follow the troubleshooting instructions found in # 1 above.
- You may take Part I only once. The exam is timed. You will have 20 minutes to answer 25 questions. Once your score has been posted, you will not be permitted to restart or retake the exam.
- At the conclusion of the exam, you will receive your score. If you forget your score, it will be viewable within 72 hours through MyMadison in Test Score View. You will not receive a confirmation email of your score on Part I.
- If you scored 0-17 on Part I, you should plan to take GWRTC 103 during your first academic year at JMU.
- If you scored 18 or higher on Part I, you will be eligible to take Part II (Waiver Exam), which is given on campus during the second or third week of the semester. You will be notified through JMU email of the exact dates/times that Part II will be offered. Part II of the Waiver Exam is a response essay to one or more readings. You will have two hours to write the essay. Part II requires the payment of a nonrefundable $10.00 fee.
If you are ready to take Part I of the Waiver Exam, then click on the following link. Remember that this is a timed exam; you will have 20 minutes to complete Part I. By clicking on this link, you are acknowledging that you have read and understood the information above.