A-to-Z Index

Information for Students Already Enrolled at JMU

A student wishing to earn credits at another institution, either during the summer or during a regular academic session, must obtain permission from the registrar's office in advance of taking courses from another institution (please complete: Permission form to take courses for transfer credit). Following consultation with the head of the department or director of the school, if necessary, and the Associate Dean of University Studies, the registrar's office will make the determination concerning the course and its application toward a JMU degree.

Students already matriculated at JMU must receive prior permission from the general education program to take any course for transfer credit and JMU does not guarantee that permission will be granted.

The General Education program allows students to transfer credit for a particular course based on a comparison of course objectives and content at JMU with those at the other institution. Once students have enrolled for classes at JMU, however, they are expected to complete the General Education program here. The Dean of University Studies, the Associate Dean of University Studies, or a Cluster Coordinator must approve any exception to this policy.

The following restrictions will be applied to transferring in credit for the General Education program.

  1. Students will be allowed to transfer in no more than three courses for General Education credit
  2. No more than one transferred course may be applied to any one cluster
  3. Transfer credit will not be awarded for course offerings in Cluster Four, The American Experience  (GHIST 225, GJUST 225 and GPOSC 225) due to the content and unique features of these courses.

Exceptions to these policies will be reviewed on an individual basis. Such exceptions may include those students who wish to participate in study abroad programs or other special circumstances.

The student is responsible for having an official transcript mailed to the registrar's office when the work has been completed. Credit hours will be awarded for approved courses carrying a "C" or better grade (2.0 quality points). Grades for courses taken at another institution are not included in grade point average calculations although they will be used in determining graduation honors for eligible students.

JMU General Education Course Equivalent/VA Community College System or Richard Bland College
See a list of courses by General Education Clusters from the Virginia Community College System or Richard Bland College to JMU for matriculated students.

Permission form to take courses for transfer credit
You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view this file. If you don't have it you can download it here.