The purpose of the General Education Council is to receive recommendations from each of the Cluster Area Curriculum Committees regarding specific clusters and other policy recommendations pertaining to General Education. The General Education Council will be responsible for approval of all cluster courses and/or packages, restructuring of objectives and setting structure and direction for the General Education Program. The recommendations made by the General Education Council will be forwarded to the Academic Council. The General Education Program also will have an External Advisory Committee that will review the program annually.
- The whole G.E.C. should serve as electors.
- The chair should be elected from members on the Council who are teaching faculty members, at least 50% of whose duties are instructional, i.e., related primarily to the classroom and non-administrative functions, and should serve a two-year term.
- The current chair should appoint a nomination committee -three current members- to solicit nominations and bring them up for election, self-nominations to be permitted.
- The G.E.C. position formerly held by the newly elected chair should be filled appropriately by another teaching faculty member, at least 50% of whose duties are instructional, i.e., related primarily to the classroom and non-administrative functions.
- Subsequent election of a new chair should be held in the spring of the second year of the current chair's term.
- The elected chair should be given some release time from teaching and/or scholarly duties and, would be well advised to minimize other service commitments.
- The Chair of the Council (non-voting, except in cases of tie votes).
- General Education Program members would include the Dean, Associate Dean, the Technology Coordinator and the Cluster Coordinators (8 voting members).
- Candidates for the positions of Cluster Committee Representatives and College Representatives be teaching faculty, at least 50% of whose duties are instructional, i.e., related primarily to the classroom and non-administrative functions.
- Cluster Committee Representatives, each of whom would be a full time faculty member elected by their respective committees (5 voting members).
- College Representatives, each of whom would be a full time faculty member elected by their respective College Faculty or College Council (5 voting members).
- University Representatives would include one representative from each of those areas currently included (e.g. Faculty Senate Liaison, the Library, CARS, Academic Advising & Career Development, and the Student Affairs Division). The Faculty Senate Liaison, the Library, CARS, and Academic Advising & Career Development representatives would be voting members; the Student Affairs Division representative would be a non-voting member. (4 voting, 1 non-voting members).
- A Student Representative from the SGA (1 voting member).