The Circle of Excellence in the Arts Awards are co-sponsored by the Forbes Center for the Performing Arts, the Arts Council of the Valley, and the College of Visual and Performing Arts at James Madison University. These awards recognize those individuals and organizations in Virginia’s Shenandoah Valley that enhance and strengthen the cultural community by promoting and advocating for artistic excellence. Up to two awards are awarded annually in recognition of a Shenandoah Valley visual or performing artist, arts administrator, or arts educator whose creative and superior accomplishments in the arts have improved the cultural vitality of the Valley. Award nominations are based on sustained contributions in the visual and performing arts.
Award recipients are nominated by members of the community and selected from those nominations by a committee made up of the Executive Director of the Forbes Center, one member of the Forbes Center Advisory Board, the Dean of the College of Visual and Performing Arts at JMU, the Arts Council of the Valley Executive Director, one member of the Arts Council of the Valley Board of Directors, plus one visual artist and one performing artist selected on a rotating yearly basis by the Forbes Center and the Arts Council of the Valley.
Award recipients are announced and recognized at the annual Forbes Center Season Announcement event held in June every year. Awardees receive two tickets to four Encore presentations at the Forbes Center, a personalized plaque, two tickets to two of the Arts Council’s Court Square Theatre music performances, as well as an individual membership to Court Square Theater.
Nominations are due by March 31, 2014. A copy of these nomination guidelines is available on the Forbes Center and the Arts Council of the Valley websites. Candidates who do not receive the award in the year they are nominated may be reconsidered in subsequent years. Multiple nominations for the same person are not considered as criteria for selection. Coordinated “campaigning” to submit multiple nominations for the same person is strongly discouraged. No late submissions will be accepted. Winners will be contacted no later than May 1, 2014. Winners are asked to keep their award selection private until the announcement is made at the Forbes Center Season event in June.
Visual and performing artists, arts administrators, and arts educators whose careers have made a substantial impact on the arts in the Shenandoah Valley may be nominated. Nominees must reside in Virginia when nominated. No one may receive the award more than once. Candidates may not nominate themselves.
1. Name, address and contact information of the person (or group of people) you wish to nominate.
2. Name, address and contact information of the person submitting the nomination.
3. What makes this nominee deserving of a Circle of Excellence in the Arts Award? Describe the nominee’s involvement in, and contribution to, the visual or performing arts. Describe how the nominee’s participation in the arts has made a difference to the quality of cultural life in the Shenandoah Valley. Be as specific as possible.
4. List names of two individuals (and contact information) that are familiar with the nominee’s qualifications for this award.
5. All nominations must be received no later than 6 p.m. on Monday, March 31, 2014. For additional information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Completed nomination forms should be mailed to:
Circle of Excellence in the Arts Awards
Forbes Center for the Performing Arts
147 Warsaw Avenue, MSC 2107
Harrisonburg, VA 22807