IV. Faculty Role in Governance
IV.C. Faculty Senate
The complete constitution of the JMU Faculty Senate can be found in Faculty Handbook, Section VI and on the Faculty Senate web site at www.jmu.edu/facultysenate. The function of the Faculty Senate is to represent the faculty in the consideration of all policies that affect the academic climate and direction of the institution. The Faculty Senate seeks to create, maintain and protect a university environment conducive to the growth of scholarship, learning, teaching, research, service, and respect for human dignity and rights. Among other things the responsibilities of the Faculty Senate include:
- Offering suggestions to the vice presidents on matters of university organization, budget recommendations and revisions, facilities, planning, and mission at the university level;
- Consulting with appropriate resource persons concerning academic policy;
- Offering recommendations about admissions policies and enrollment management;
- Participating in university-wide curricular oversight through its representatives on the Committee on Academic Programs; and
- Working with the Office of the Provost to maintain policies and procedures by which the faculty will be involved in the evaluation of academic administrators at the university level.
In order to facilitate communication in carrying out these responsibilities, the provost and the vice president for administration and finance will be ex-officio, nonvoting members of the Faculty Senate Steering Committee. Further, the president and provost will be ex-officio, nonvoting members of the Faculty Senate.