Students in JMU's European Union Policy Studies graduate program reside in Palazzo Capponi, a meticulously renovated palace in central Florence's Santo Spirito district.
Palazzo Capponi is a building of considerable artistic and historical significance. Built in the 16th century, it was the home of the noble Capponi family, whose coat of arms can still be seen above the building's entrance. In 1829, the builidng became the headquarters of a charitable instituiton founded by Count Girolamo dei Bardi, the Pio Istituto de' Bardi.
The palazzo runs the entire length of Via dei Michelozzi and is bordered by Via del Presto di San Martino to the east and Via Maggio to the west. Via Maggio is one of the most prestigious streets in Florence; in 1530, it witnessed the imperial procession of Charles V following his conquest of the city. Today, Via Maggio is the site of many of Florence's most well-known antique shops.
The ground floor of the palazzo contains JMU's classrooms, the media library, and the entrance to an outdoor courtyard. Residential spaces, meeting rooms, and administrative offices populate the palazzo's upper floors. Most EUPS master's students share a room with a roommate, but a number of single rooms are available and are chosen on a lottery system.
Students who are accepted into the program are contacted well in advance of their first semester with specific details regarding roommate selection, single and double rooms, and preparations for arrival. They also receive a detailed handbook that contains more information about Palazzo Capponi.