JMU's European Union Policy Studies graduate program is based in Palazzo Capponi, a renovated palace in central Florence's Santo Spirito district.
Palazzo Capponi is a building of considerable artistic and historical significance. Built in the 16th century, it was the home of the noble Capponi family, whose coat of arms can still be seen above the building's entrance. In 1829, the builidng became the headquarters of a charitable instituiton founded by Count Girolamo dei Bardi, the Pio Istituto de' Bardi.
The palazzo runs the entire length of Via dei Michelozzi and is bordered by Via del Presto di San Martino to the east and Via Maggio to the west. Via Maggio is one of the most prestigious streets in Florence; in 1530, it witnessed the imperial procession of Charles V following his conquest of the city. Today, Via Maggio is the site of many of Florence's most well-known antique shops.
Palazzo Capponi contains JMU's classrooms, computer and printing facilities, administrative offices, and meeting rooms. The palazzo also serves as home to JMU's Semester in Florence program.