The spirit of the competition is to develop a mechanical device to launch the dog; no devices that require explosives/propellants/compressed gas/etc will be allowed. Human-assisted propulsion will not be permitted (you may not throw the dog).
- Time: Each team is allowed five minutes in the launch area to set up and launch five dogs.
- Device: The entire device must be entirely contained within the launch area during all stages of all five launch operations.
- Dog: All dogs will be supplied by the Department of Engineering at the time of competition; team members shall not make any alterations to the competition dogs. Practice dogs will be available for use on the morning of the event. Example dogs are available for viewing in the Department of Engineering main office and are available for purchase at the bookstore.
- Trigger: The launching device must include a trigger mechanism. The trigger mechanism must maintain the device as “ready to fire” without any human interaction. In other words, asking the trigger person to hold back a slingshot does not qualify as a trigger mechanism. When the team in the batter’s box pronounces their device to be ready, the trigger person will load a competition dog and actuate the trigger mechanism.
- Players: Each team will consist of 5-6 players.
Materials and Supplies
- Each team will order competition materials from the FLING STOREROOM prior to, or on the day of, competition. (Materials order from the store on the day of the competition with carry a premium price.)
- Teams are encouraged to place orders online and submit these orders by 5 PM on Friday, September 14th to minimize budget score. Orders must be placed by sending an e-mail with the FLING ORDER SHEET as an MS Excel attachment. Download the FLING ORDER SHEET. (complete order form and email to Scott Padgett at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Teams are free to use all or part of all items ordered, but all items will come with a cost that will affect your budget score, so choose wisely.
- NO COST ITEMS: In addition to items obtained from the FLING STORE, teams may bring the following items from home (please do not purchase these items specifically for the competition):
- Up to 2 empty soda bottles (no larger than 2 liter sized)
- Up to 1 empty cardboard box (copy paper sized)
- Up to 4 empty paper towel/toilet paper rolls (no larger than paper towel sized)
- Only items listed above are allowed from home. All other materials will be supplied by the Department of Engineering through the FILNG STOREROOM.
- All construction must take place in your team’s assigned area by team members using the provided hand tools.
- Safety during all elements of construction is paramount. Teams will be warned if they fail to demonstrate safe construction practices and may be disqualified by the judges, faculty and staff if unsafe practices are observed.
- Have a wonderful summer!
- 2013 Summer Session