James Madison University MVP
Middle School Visit Program
The JMU Middle School Visit Program strives to inspire young students by providing a positive and age-appropriate college campus experience highlighting exposure to different career paths and opportunities to help students begin to focus on long-term goals.
Middle school students will interact with JMU college role models from various majors and diverse backgrounds who will share their unique sense of community by engaging small groups in discussion and casual conversation throughout their visit.
This program, in conjunction with VDOE’s newly mandated Middle School Academic Career Plan (ACP), is designed to encourage middle school students to challenge themselves by selecting middle and high school courses to support academic and career options.
Ideal Standard Visit (3 ½ - 4 hours) Includes:
- “Picture Yourself in College!” Welcome Session (30-45 minutes) with media and JMU student panel for Q/A
- Lunch in Award-Winning Dining Hall (all-you-can-eat discount vouchers available for advance purchase)
- “Behind the Scenes” Campus Tour given by JMU student volunteers focusing on College Life (not buildings)
- Activity or Presentation sponsored by various JMU Academic Departments
- Other enriching college life experiences as time permits
What makes JMU different?
- Age-appropriate and engaging
- Extended opportunities for young students to connect with college role models
- Wide variety of exposure to potential careers and majors
- Large groups are carefully divided into rotations for a more intimate and meaningful student experience
- Manageable schedule includes transition times and restroom breaks
- Detailed chaperone itineraries and transportation information provided
- Center for Wind Energy: Hands-On experimentation in Wind Energy and Solar Applications
- Biology: Extraction of strawberry DNA, and other topics
- Physics and Astronomy: Full-Dome Planetarium Show and Star Talk
- Science on a Sphere: Geologic, Oceanic, and Environmental Science from a Global Perspective
- Kinesiology and Exercise Science: Health and Wellness Careers and Sports/Rehab Medicine
- School of Media Arts and Design (SMAD): Tour of Production Facility and Roles, Video Editing for Television
- College of Visual and Performing Arts: Band Rehearsal, Masters Class in Dance/Theater, Gallery Exhibits
- CISE Computer Science: Interactive Hour of Code and Robotics Programs
- Carrier Library: Special Collections and Access
- Mathematics: 3-D Print Lab Special Access and Applications
- School of Art, Design, and Art History (SADAH): Graphic Design
- UREC (University Recreation Center): Tour of Facilities and Indoor Climbing Wall
- JMU Athletics: “The Life of a College Athlete” Behind the scenes tour of Bridgeforth Stadium
- Center for Environmental Stewardship: Green Initiatives and Special Tours
- Integrated Science and Technology: Intelligence Analysis