Ilene Magee

What do I do at the Counseling Center?

I serve as the director of training for an APA-accredited doctoral internship and a post-doctoral residency program. Additionally, I am a full-time licensed clinical psychologist, and provide initial assessment, individual and group counseling, consultation and crisis services, and outreach programming.

What's it like to work with me?

My career in psychology has focused on human interaction, particularly how change occurs by means of the therapeutic relationship and the process of therapy. My work is most influenced by interpersonal process, family systems, cognitive-behavioral, and strengths-based approaches. I have experience providing counseling services to a diverse student population with a wide range of presenting issues, and I am dedicated to multicultural awareness both professionally and personally. I am particularly interested in supervision of professionals in training, women’s issues, resiliency, trauma recovery, multicultural issues, and career development.

What do I do at JMU outside of the Counseling Center?

I serve on the Student Affairs Engagement Team, the Human Resources Work/Life Balance and Wellness Council, and the Student Affairs Compliance Sub-Committee.