Skip to Main Content


You are in the main content

Can faculty obtain a patent for something they create?

JMU Intellectual Property Policy 1107 deals with the ownership of patents within the academic environment. In general, the University retains all rights to patentable creations but shares any possible royalties with the employee, be it faculty, staff, or student. There are some exceptions. However, they are rare.

To obtain a patent, creators should submit a disclosure form to the Office of Technology Transfer who will forward them on to a committee made up of administration and faculty.

Instructions can be found on JMU Policy 1107