Computer Purchases: Personal - Order Info
Student Personal Purchases
back to top
- Student Purchases from the JMU Bookstore:
- If you are a Freshman, we suggest that you wait until after orientation before making any computer purchase decisions.
- Additional information about delivery options
- JMU negotiates with Apple and Dell to provide special contract pricing for computers purchased through the JMU bookstore.
- These computers can be upgraded to meet your needs, will work with the JMU network, but most importantly, JMU provides warranty services for all Apple and Dell computers purchased through the bookstore.
- All Dell Optiplex and Latitude computers come with a three year warranty and JMU provides the warranty services on-campus.
- All Apple computers come with a one year warranty and JMU provides the warranty services on-campus.
- Warranty services for all Dell and Apple computers purchased through the bookstore are provided by JMU's PC Services and processed through the JMU bookstore.
- If you do not already own a computer, we recommend purchasing one through the JMU bookstore.
- If you already know your major, be sure to check out what your department recommends that you purchase.
- Undeclared? We suggest that you review the academic bundles for your potential major. Any of the options offered by the JMU bookstore should meet your basic computing needs, but some departments have additional computing recommendations.
Faculty/Staff Personal Purchases
Faculty and Staff may purchase a computer through the JMU Bookstore Computer Purchase Program, or directly from Apple or Dell. There are advantages to both options depending on your needs. For either option, all Dell Optiplex and Latitude computers come with a three year warranty. All Apple computers come with a one year warranty. Extended warranties are also available. JMU's PC Services is an authorized service center for both Apple and Dell.
Advantages to purchasing a computer through the JMU Bookstore Computer Purchase Program:
- JMU negotiates with Apple and Dell for special contract prices and creates bundles to simplify the purchase process
- Qualified full-time faculty and classified staff are eligible for an interest-free loan with payroll deduction
- JMU Bookstore staff can answer your questions and assist you with your selection of the right computer system for you
- No additional shipping charges
- The biggest savings are offered on the Dell Optiplex and Dell Latitude lines
- Any computer system purchased through the JMU Bookstore can be upgraded to meet your needs
If you decide to purchase a computer directly from Apple or Dell:
- You will not be eligible for an interest free loan with payroll deduction
- Like all retailers, Apple and Dell offer specials on certain computer systems that may be more attractive than the JMU Bookstore bundles or may include a free printer, scanner, etc.
- If you want to purchase a Dell Dimension or Inspiron, you may get a lower price at Dell.com or the Dell Higher Education site
Contact the JMU Bookstore for a customized quote
back to top
JMU Owned Computer Purchases